They said go big!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

vair8

Re: They said go big!

Post by vair8 »

NP317 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:58 am Be kind. It could be a periodic medical dosage issue.
RussN
Not trying to be rude:) read through some of his past posts and he has great info. Totally get it. Not a big deal.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nice find on the lathe. When I first saw it, I didn't think it had much swing, and then realized it's 9 freakin' feet long between centers! That thing is as long as both of my lathes and both of my mills side by side.

You should look up information on the King-Way tool used in measuring when you are scraping ways.
KingWay.jpg
It measures not off the top of the v-ways, but on the sides of the V, which is much more accurate, as the top may not even be consistent from one end of the bed to another.

I think a platform using that principal would make a good level base for checking level.

There is a guy on youtube that built an "improved" version. Not sure about the improved part, but it appears to be easier to make that duplicating the original.

Steve
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
vair8

Post by vair8 »

Thats sweet! any suggestions on cutting out the tubing without a mill? I may have to. give that a shot. The other thing I bought was a couple of 123 blocks and figured maybe measuring from the flat might be better, not sure about that though. I'm also not convinced in the accuracy of the blocks.

Slapped a little stand together for my chucks tonight and emptied out an old toolbox base that I'm going to use for all my tooling. It's going to be a while before I get my garage organized again.
Attachments
IMG_2672.jpeg
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

vair8 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 pm Thats sweet! any suggestions on cutting out the tubing without a mill?
You might be able to get away with using a piece of channel instead of tubing.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

vair8 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 pm Thats sweet! any suggestions on cutting out the tubing without a mill? I may have to. give that a shot. The other thing I bought was a couple of 123 blocks and figured maybe measuring from the flat might be better, not sure about that though. I'm also not convinced in the accuracy of the blocks.

Slapped a little stand together for my chucks tonight and emptied out an old toolbox base that I'm going to use for all my tooling. It's going to be a while before I get my garage organized again.
Nice stand!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

vair8 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 pm Thats sweet! any suggestions on cutting out the tubing without a mill? I may have to. give that a shot.
If you can mount a pair of dowel pins at a proper spacing so that they are parallel, that might do it.

Steve
vair8

Post by vair8 »

Anyone know what kind of oil I should be using on the oiling points and in the gearbox on this rig? I have the maintenance manual, and it says the headstock and all oiling points besides the gearbox should be a fully inhibited turbine type oil, and the gearbox a multipurpose lithium based grease.

I have no idea what turbine type oil is, or if theres a more modern equivalent I should be looking for, as far as the lithium based grease I know I can find something that meets that description, but I'm wondering what you all use and if there's any specific one I should be looking for.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Mobil DTE Series oils are widely used in gear head lathes. I have been using their DTE25 in my lathe for about 10 years. You can get some information about those oils here:
https://www.global.mobil.com/en/lubrica ... bil-dte-26

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
vair8

Post by vair8 »

So I’ve had some time to start making some parts, I’m wanting to do a part that I need to drill a circular hole pattern on, I don’t have a mill. I do have a drill press but it’s ancient in a bad way and I don’t trust it’s accuracy, so my thought was I want to grab an indexing plate and attach it to the back side of the head and then make an attachment for a hand drill to the carriage. I’m pretty sure it will work but I’m wondering if anyone has a better/easier idea to make that work. The first part I have in mind is only a 1.5” piece of round stock. But I’d like to be able to re-pattern rotors later on with it too.
Attachments
02D1408C-00F6-45F7-9941-8E5B05142350.jpeg
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

How accurate does this circular hole pattern have to be? While I have fudged in the past and laid out a circular hole pattern in a lathe (key word: laid out—the drilling was in a drill press), the layout wasn't all that accurate due to cumulative slop and I ended up redoing the part in a mill. It's best to not use a hammer to put in a wine bottle cork.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

How about old-fashioned hand layout? Draw a circle of diameter 'D' on your stock, then set your dividers to a chordal length 'C' given by:

C = D * sin (180 / N) ; where N = number of divisions

and use them to strike off N points on the circle.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz