They said go big!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: They said go big!

Post by liveaboard »

Photos work for me too.
vair8

Post by vair8 »

Level shipped in! Tried to turn my first part and was not at all happy with the results, but I don't really have a clue as to what I'm doing yet, I'm going to try and make my own tool rather than use one of the old ones that came with it. I'm also in school right now and may be able to take a class and have it count towards an elective on my degree so if I can make that happen I definitely will, honestly I'll probably take a class either way. Youtube is great but it'd be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing point me in the right direction.
Attachments
IMG_2657.jpeg
spro

Post by spro »

I don't get the long bed BUT there are reasons. The bed may not be worn but it is. You have this huge long bed. Careful and move the headstock (used to say that) further into the unworn areas.
When we think about this, the perfect ways under the head, drives another head. Some sort of way the worn ways don't figure into this.
spro

Post by spro »

I can't delete this stuff. Reasons and time.
spro

Post by spro »

I was yelling at the squirrels. The damn problem was I Knew some of them. Blond squirrels wouldn't move a foot. We stare at each other a few seconds and go our merry way.
We don't have hedgehogs around here. That must be but it cannot. They would all be murdered. Lovely creatures really and not raising a storm.
vair8

Post by vair8 »

Yeah I'm a bit confused right now, sounds like you might be too :P
spro

Post by spro »

ere was but it is over. You are going at it wrong. The "old" tooling existed for a reason. By that old school hs steel and any profile could be ground, to fit the operation.
spro

Post by spro »

The freaking "lantern" tool posts. If not for them, we would not know the geometry and reasons of the other ones.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

spro wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:05 am I was yelling at the squirrels. The damn problem was I Knew some of them. Blond squirrels wouldn't move a foot. We stare at each other a few seconds and go our merry way.
We don't have hedgehogs around here. That must be but it cannot. They would all be murdered. Lovely creatures really and not raising a storm.
What in blue blazes are you talking about???
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

vair8 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:36 pm Yeah I'm a bit confused right now, sounds like you might be too :P
He is prone to blathering at times.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Can't say any of it makes sense to me either.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

NP317

Post by NP317 »

Be kind. It could be a periodic medical dosage issue.
RussN