Vent hood over metal lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

trainriders

Vent hood over metal lathe

Post by trainriders »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and have recently inherited a collection of metal working tools and am getting them set up in my own shop. The lathe is a Myford Super 7 and as I'm setting things up I'm wondering if planning some form of exhaust vent over the cutting area would be beneficial. My dad had rigged a small fan and flex dryer vent hose that I'm guessing was used to remove some smoke from cutting oil that may have occurred. I haven't seen that in the set ups on the forum and was wondering if its worth it to plan that into the location or if its not worth the effort or if using enough coolant to keep things cutting smoothly will prevent the issue in the first place. Thanks for your comments.

-John
Harold_V

Re: Vent hood over metal lathe

Post by Harold_V »

Random thoughts.

While a method of removing smoke can be desirable, it's not generally done. For the most part, you won't generate much smoke, especially if you're running small equipment.

The lathe you mentioned is most likely not equipped to use coolant. That generally requires a method for returning the dispensed solution back to the sump, which you also lack. It could be added, but the results would leave a great deal to be desired. Further, while oil is used, the coolant used by most equipment is not oil but water. It presents its own problems. I can think of no coolant system that isn't troublesome and messy.

The worst offender is sulfur based cutting oil. If you brush apply this lubricant (not coolant) to the cut, it will smoke, and it's very messy and stinky. For that you would benefit by having an exhaust system of sorts.

Keep in mind, any air you remove from a heated environment will be replaced by cold air unless you also provide a heat exchanger. For that reason, you'll most likely rarely use an exhaust system, at least during periods of cold weather.

Using lubrication when machining tends to prolong tool life, yield a better finish, plus provide at least minor cooling.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This from a 12" Atlas with sulphurated cutting oil. Doesn't happen all that often and isn't offensive as this is in a garage shop with doors open front and back.
Smokey Cut
Smokey Cut
If you put a hood over your work it will have to be close enough to be effective and soon you will have a thumping headache. :lol:
Just a FYI
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

My shop is in a basement. There are several whole room vent fans, which I switch on as needed or when the party above complains! I have never felt the need for a dedicated fume hood for the lathe, or the mill, or the.....
trainriders

Post by trainriders »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to lots of learning as I begin a new adventure.

-John
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I think if you can setup exhaust ventilation do so. A kitchen range hood would help but set it up so the air is drawn away from your face, not past it. The oil mist is not good for your lungs. A machinist in the plant I worked in became sensitised after over 25 years of it that he was unable to breathe. After being away for 6 months returned and was back to the same in only a few days. Part of the reason my nose never stops running is being in that same building. In a hobby situation you will never be exposed to that amount of stuff in the air but everything you go through in life adds up and for some, it results in lung problems when older.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

For me is rare to cut steel heavily and for long enough time to bother with lubricant, when that happen I hang a boxer fan (4" x 4" x 1.5" computer type) to move air from headstock to tailstock, I may wear a face shield to limit the breathing. Again is rare and for short time.
Suggest you try without and see what king of pollution YOUR specific type of work creates. If it becomes a problem you would have gained the insight of what the best solution may be. Harold mentioned the cold weather, that may be a problem were he lives, here in Texas any vented cool air from my AC garage ends up being replaced by 100F air from outside. Each situation is different.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Myford is a very nice, top of the line, English lathe. prized in U.K. we would enjoy seeing a few pics.

Yes,ventilation hoods aren’t used much with manual lathes, although if your shop space is in a tightly enclosed room, such as a basement, or garage with no open windows or doors, then some venting hood or fan might come in handy. Commercial shops and school program machining work area will often have serious ventilation systems, because of the smoke. Although not at each station.

As a rule of thumb, use of cutting oil when turning mild steel is highly desirable. Even a dab or two on the work with a small brush often makes a big difference. So you might find a bit of ventilation and a blower or fan nearby to be quite useful at times.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You can always put a mist collector on the outlet of the fan and recirculate the air. They can be noisy and somewhat $$...but are an option.

Look at what is offered for welding applications
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have a whole shop exhaust fan. It's powerful enough, despite being only 10" in diameter, to cause the door to slam shut. I had to install an outside air intake for the boiler to prevent the fan from pulling air back down the chimney.

I have a second squirrel cage fan that has the better dryer vent hose on it - the aluminum stuff that you can bend and it stays put. It's right over the mill so I can suck out the fumes at the source. When I move the lathe I'm going to add an extension and shutoff gates to get to the lathe.

Having a room exhaust fan is good, but when you can catch the fumes right at the source, it works much better.

Steve
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I designed my shop with windows on either side of the machine space.
With a fan in one window, I get excellent smoke removal with the fan running.
Both the lathe and mill have my back to the incoming air.
Works fine.
RussN