my 3 jaw chuck..

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

my 3 jaw chuck..

Post by AllenH59 »

My indian Lathe came with a 6 inch 3 jaw, and a backing plate threaded for the spindle. Lately I have been noticing that the 3 jaw is running quite a bit out. I want a better one, and was scouring the web sites and catalogues, trying to bring myself to spend the money to buy a Bison, or another good chuck. This eve I was in my shop getting something to pull a metal sliver, and while I was there I took a minute and removed the chuck from the backing plate. I cleaned the backing plate and cleaned the chuck mating surface, I ran a dial indicator on the shoulder on the backing plate and it was perfect, and I measured the diameter of the tenon to mount the chuck on, and test fit the chuck on the tenon, and it was a snug fit. No hammer was required to install it, but it seemed ok. I snugged up the bolts and ran a dial on the outside of the body, and it indicated under .001, and then I tightened the bolts. I indicated again and it had not changed. I put a piece of ground shafting in the lathe, a short piece about 4 inches long, and wound the indicator against it, and it was under .001 out. I was surprised, and maybe my Indian chuck is ok...
liveaboard

Re: my 3 jaw chuck..

Post by liveaboard »

I lived in India for decades; there were 2 types of products.
Indian = bad
Imported = good.

But of course that doesn't mean they couldn't make things well, it was just that they didn't.
Maybe now, they do.
Sometimes all a chuck needs is a good clean and lube.

I have a Chinese 3-jaw, and a French 3-jaw. The Chinese is closer to true.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nobody ever was sorry that they bought a good chuck.

Steve
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

Nobody ever was sorry that they bought a good chuck.

Steve
Yes Steve. My 8 inch indian 4 jaw is ok, my 12" chinese 4 jaw is ok, and my 5C collet holder from china is ok. I will buy a good 3 jaw...
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I bought the chuck listed below. I bought a 10" plain back adjustable 3 jaw chuck. I made a backing plate for it. The down side of it is that it is heavy... and takes about 2 inches more of my bed than any other chuck I have. The chuck is limited to 1100 rpm, which is not a problem for me, as I almost always work between 50 and 750 rpm

The upside:
It has a fine pitch scroll, and will hold stuff very tight, I have not had stuff slip or slide into the the chuck.
It is unbelievably easy to adjust for center. Adjusting is intuitive, and the accuracy they mention is easily attainable.
After adjustment it is often very close even at other diameters. Yesterday I turned a piece around, having turned it to 3/4 on one end and wanting to work on the other end, which was 1-3/8. I though my indicator was stuck. I put the 3/4 end in the chuck and indicated on the larger diameter and the indicator literally did not move.
I can center stuff in this chuck more accurately than I can in either of my 4 jaws. I know that is a function of my 4 jaw chucks being cheap and stretchy.. but way under .001" run out is easily attainable. Count me as a happy customer.
http://turnochucks.com/as-type.html
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

In a word...or two...if you want an accurate 3 jaw from any country in the world..soft jaws

Any other 3 jaw... if it is dead on it is an accident...no matter where where it is made or by who(m)...unless it is adjustable..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:39 pm In a word...or two...if you want an accurate 3 jaw from any country in the world..soft jaws
A good reason to buy chucks with two-piece jaws. You can use the hard jaws when those are sufficient, but when you need the accuracy, you can swap out the jaws for soft jaws.

Steve