Central Machinery TD1236E??

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

john11139

Central Machinery TD1236E??

Post by john11139 »

I am looking at a Central Machinery lathe TD1236E but cannot find any info on it. I assume it was sold by Harbor Freight. Where can you get parts for it at. I have looked at pictures of Enco, Jet and Grizzly and none of them look like it. I think the one I am looking at was made in Twain. Any one have one? How has it held up?. Is Harbor Freight still supporting it?
John Evans

Re: Central Machinery TD1236E??

Post by John Evans »

Parts at HF surely you jest !! About your only hope for parts is if ENCO or Griz are currently selling a very simular one. And even then parts availabilty is spotty. I would bet it was made in mainland China .
www.chaski.com
john11139

Post by john11139 »

John Evans wrote:Parts at HF surely you jest !! About your only hope for parts is if ENCO or Griz are currently selling a very simular one. And even then parts availabilty is spotty. I would bet it was made in mainland China .
The tag says made in Taiwan. I think it is a early 90's model. I have looked at pictures of Jet, enco and Grizzly and none of theirs look like it. It appears to be in almost new condition. Some one said it might be the same as a Busy Bee lathe.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: john11139 :D

What is the chance you could post some nice clear
pictures, with close up's of the data plates and a
view or two :?: :D

Ken :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well made in Taiwan makes me think 80s most likely and probabley a decent machine basically. But like all the lower end imports parts are few and far between. I just repaired a 10X24 Taiwan lathe and it was a late 70s made and well made to boot.
www.chaski.com
john11139

Post by john11139 »

ken572 wrote:Good Morning :!: john11139 :D

What is the chance you could post some nice clear
pictures, with close up's of the data plates and a
view or two :?: :D

Ken :)
I don't have a picture. He had it advertised on Craig list with no picture. I sent him a e mail and requested a picture and the ones he sent came out so big that it filled my whole screen. I did a Google search for that model and cant find any thing. No listing of a Central Machinery distributor. Haven't found any one who owns that model yet.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Central machinery is a HF house brand. HF orders a quantity of a item and when it sells out it's gone. Their business plan does not include after sale support!! If the machine is in good shape and reasonable price buy it,no worse than buying a US machine that the maker has been out of business for the last 50 years.
www.chaski.com
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Tida made a TD-1236E model lathe in Tawian that was badged under a number of different names including Enco/etc. It is kind of a"standard" lathe format with a square spindle head, 3 levers on the upper portion (2 spindle speed, 1 direction), 4 buttons/indicators, a 4th lever on the lower right (thread/feed), and a tumbler gear change box on the bottom. KBC has a scan of the manual including parts list.

But again... without the pictures it is just a guessing game.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

John,

Is this like the lathe pictures that were emailed to you :?:

http://www.g3ynh.info/workshop/tida_td5.html

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
john11139

Post by john11139 »

Thanks ken572 for link: That link is the same as my Jet 1236py. I have been trying to find a user manual for some time. They look almost identical. The CM lathe is different. I finally found a couple of pictures if I can figure out how to post them. On most of the 1236 lathes I have seen, including Jet, Grizzly 4003 and Enco, the gear box where you change the thread pitch at the bottom of the gear box, the selection is made by sliding a lever (2 or 3) up or down and left and right and engage them in the little holes. The CM I am looking at has levers that are moved left or right. The Jet I have has a couple of the little holes wore out so it wont stay engaged. I took it to a welding shop and and I put a copper wire (about 6ga) into the hole and they tig welded around it and I smoothed it back down. These are not the exact model but pretty close. Again, thanks for that link. At least now I have a owners manual for my Jet.
Attachments
lathe%2003[1].jpg
001[1].jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

That has a oil bath QC box ,nice feature . That is usually found on more commercially oriented machines.
www.chaski.com