Old machine manuals

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Torch

Old machine manuals

Post by Torch »

From time to time someone posts here looking for information about an orphan. I've started a collection of manuals at http://machine.archives.verhey.org for posterity. If you have any scanned manuals for equipment that is not available on a manufacturer's website, I'd be happy to add it to the collection.

A note about copyright: Under Canadian law, as permitted by international treaty, copyright does not subsist in directions for the use and care of a useful article in the form of an instruction or repair manual that accompanies a product or that is supplied as an accessory to a service. Even if copyright did subsist in such matter, this archive is a non-commercial educational collection for the purposes of research and private study and therefore a permitted use under the copyright law of Canada and most other countries. That said, I don't want to discourage manufacturers from making the information available on their own website, so I will generally not be sharing anything that is available that way. One exception would be where there are errors in the version offered by the manufacturer that are corrected in a submitted file.
J. Randall

Re: Old machine manuals

Post by J. Randall »

That is a nice gesture. There is also a manual section over on the metal illness site, it hardly ever see any activity and I don't know how long Adrian will maintain it. You might look there to see if there are any you would like to host.
James
spro

Post by spro »

Right off the bat, I went to "Shapers" and found useful information. The files load very quick and this is a wonderful service that you are offering. There are many shapers but I haven't actually seen an operator's manual for the smaller ones. Many people think a shaper is so simple that you just figure it out. That isn't true and the Logan 8" shaper operator's lays out the basics clearly for users of Atlas, South Bend, basically A-Z . So this is good and also, right in the manual, is a unit I know of. I didn't expect to see this. It is described as "indexing centers" for the Logan 8''. I knew it wasn't Atlas and Rockwell didn't make a metal shaper(to my knowledge). So there it is, (if not Sheldon) with original grey paint. Units as these are not easily identified 60+- years later and If they don't fit, I'm not going to change them.
Now if it comes to where we are burning our furniture for heat, then yes. That would be another topic which cannot even be alluded to.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Is this for "metal" working tools (machines) or to include woodworking ones? There is (or there
was some years ago) one that at least started out for the woodworking crowd. I scanned and up-
loaded a whole bunch of the machines manuals I have acquired over the years. May still have the
files if you want them.
...lew...
Torch

Post by Torch »

I started with metal working machines, but I don't see why it couldn't include wood working machines as well. It would be simple enough to add additional categories. Contact me by PM if you find the files.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Lew Hartswick wrote:Is this for "metal" working tools (machines) or to include woodworking ones? There is (or there
was some years ago) one that at least started out for the woodworking crowd. I scanned and up-
loaded a whole bunch of the machines manuals I have acquired over the years. May still have the
files if you want them.
...lew...
Good Morning :!: Lew, :D
If you still have the Website URL that you uploaded to

could you post it here. :?: 8) :wink:

Thanks,
:D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

ken572 wrote:
If you still have the that you uploaded to

could you post it here. :?:
I just went through my e-mail and bookmarks and don't see what it was. I think it probably
came about from a thread on Usenet (rec.woodworking) or on the bb woodworking.org.
It's been a long time ago. I haven't found any of the up-load files either.
...lew...
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/

This gentleman has a lot of both metal and woodworking machine manuals for sale.
All of them are first-rate reproductions carefully cleaned up, copied and bound.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Lew and all, I think y'all are talking about http://www.vintagemachinery.org. There is a ton of woodworking, but also a good bit of metal working manuals - for "vintage" machines. It saved me the time and trouble of buying reprint manuals a couple of times, so I went ahead and donated.

Edit - the site is a bit hard to navigate, so here's a better link for finding a manual for a particular machine. Note that they classify everything by who it was badged by - i.e., Sears sold things made by several manuf's, but would be filed under Sears-maker

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/pubs.aspx
Last edited by rudd on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

That site doesn't seem to have any of the manuals for the actual machines. I couldn't even find a
radial arm saw in the Sears category. I know I up-loaded the manuals for two models of them.
...lew...
rudd

Post by rudd »

I don't see your name on the list as someone who uploaded, but I see around a page of Sears Craftsman radial arm saws - all newer stuff than I would expect on that site - oldest being 1959, newest being 2000.

Go to Sears-craftsman in the second link I posted, then use the pull down menu above the list to sort for only radial arm saws.

I fixed my wording in the above post. One would look under "Sears" -maker
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Lew Hartswick wrote:
ken572 wrote:
If you still have the that you uploaded to

could you post it here. :?:
I just went through my e-mail and bookmarks and don't see what it was. I think it probably
came about from a thread on Usenet (rec.woodworking) or on the bb woodworking.org.
It's been a long time ago. I haven't found any of the up-load files either.
...lew...
Good Morning :!: Lew :D

Thanks for taking the time to look. :wink:

One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.