What is this good for

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

duckman903

What is this good for

Post by duckman903 »

I've been given a block of (magnesium ?) it's 2 1/2" T X 6" W X 11 1/2" L . I've very slow milled some fine chips off took them out side and hit them with my propane torch, took about 10 seconds poof what a bright light so do I have chunk of mag. or some other mystery metal. Picture taken on my 1920 Singer work bench LOL LOL .
Attachments
DSCN1038[1].JPG
hammermill

Re: What is this good for

Post by hammermill »

You are onto a couple of pyrotechnics options
Mix with all. And a little powder black
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Well if it's really light weight it's magnesium if it's heaver it's probably Titanium , they both exhibit the
"conflagration" you experienced. :-) I don't have the densities handy but could look them up. Or
you could just check wikipedia for densities and calculate for the volume.
It's always handy to have a chunk of odd materials around for the odd job or idea that comes up. :-)
...lew...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Wrong color for Titanium.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Weigh it !
Should be 10.82 pounds for Magnesium with the dimensions you gave
Rich
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Wrong color for Titanium.
Well it sure looks the same color as the 1/4" Titanium plates I milled for router table inserts for the
teacher a few years ago. I think there is still a bottle of the chips around for demonstrations. :-)
...lew...
JackF

Post by JackF »

The last shop I worked in used magnesium for engraving plates, replaced zinc for health reasons. It can be quite flammable as you have discovered.
We cut the plates up with a band saw and had to keep a bucket of sand next to the saw in case a spark set off the mag dust. Didn't ever happen while I was there but it was a known hazard. Some back packers carry a stick of magnesium to shave chips off for a fire starter. Should be very easy to machine but I would be sure all the chips were cleaned up before machining any steel. :shock: I would think titanium would be much harder to machine.

Jack.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I would Ebay it and use the money for some material you are more likely to use. Or some needed tooling.

Richard W.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Glenn Wegman wrote:Wrong color for Titanium.
Well it sure looks the same color as the 1/4" Titanium plates I milled for router table inserts for the
teacher a few years ago. I think there is still a bottle of the chips around for demonstrations. :-)
...lew...
Titanium has a distinct pale yellow/gray cast that is not seen in magnesium. Magnesium is quite white--very much like aluminum in color, and tends to be quite brittle (crisp) when machined. It can be horsed like there's no tomorrow, which tends to be impossible with titanium.

Want a simple test? Hit the unknown piece on a grinding wheel. Titanium emits *brilliant* white sparks.

Magnesium? Nothing, just grinding dust (which will readily ignite given the opportunity).

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ronm

Post by ronm »

I got this in email the other day-seems appropriate for this thread... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgkUi4VM1Mc

earlgo

Post by earlgo »

In my pre "independently wealthy" life, we used magnesium to make vibration table fixtures as it was light weight and did not enhance the vibration.
I'd vote for e-bay as our suppliers paid a lot of money for a chunk of magnesium the size you describe, unless you like very expensive doorstops.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Just be sure never to ignite that block !!! It would make a very nice display for a while, as your shop burned down around it.

You can't put Mg out with carbon dioxide, either, because it burns hot enough to break the oxygen out of the CO2. Sand is the only way to go.
Pete in NJ