What is this good for

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: What is this good for

Post by Harold_V »

ronm wrote:I got this in email the other day-seems appropriate for this thread... :)
Sort of a "hold my beer and watch this" kind of thing.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Well I weighed it and came up with about 10 1/2 #, scrubbed it with a piece of red Scotch Brite to take the oxidation off and it comes out shiny white, where as aluminum comes out flat white, here's a picture of it.
Attachments
DSCN1041[1].JPG
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

2-1/2" x 6" x 11-1/2" would give it a volume of 172.5 cu/in.

Looking at my chart:
Magnesium weighs .063 lb p/cu-in, so total weight would be 10.87 lbs.
Titanium would weigh 28.29....aluminum 16.73.

Looks like magnesium too!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Guess I'll get my scraper out and make some chips, and then have a bon fire, my neighbor has a pile of sticks and brush that she wants gone and I think a BIG fire is the way to go.
J. Randall

Post by J. Randall »

I would vote for selling it, use a small amount of the proceeds to buy an old junk engine block from a VW Beetle if you want a bright bonfire.
James
spro

Post by spro »

Yeh and what, more magnesium than aluminum. I ran my bus everyway to Sunday, high to low in valleys and mountains. The engine was so far removed, I layed on that thing and it kept going. Nobody will take that away from me.
atomarc

Post by atomarc »

spro wrote:Yeh and what, more magnesium than aluminum. I ran my bus everyway to Sunday, high to low in valleys and mountains. The engine was so far removed, I layed on that thing and it kept going. Nobody will take that away from me.

I'm not sure what to say about this post...maybe English is a second language or I'm OTL. Maybe I flunked English and basic sentence structure as a young student, don't know. Hope I'm not being too critical on this..........no disrespect Mr. Spro. :?

Stuart
spro

Post by spro »

You're right and I was just rambling about association to a previous post and others about those engines. I have to tighten up and not cause confusion. No harm intended and thanks for your patience.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

I see it as a resource/capability and a curiosity. Plenty of reason to keep it.

On a shelf in the back area of the shop are 3 pieces of 6Al 4V titanium rod 5/8 x 36”, 2 ½ x12” and 1 ½ x11” in the original shipping container. It was given to me with the implied assumption that I could use it. Custom cut it could bring quite a bit online.

What would be next? A few years after the Exact Level and Tool Company went out of business due to the death of the owner, the widow had a small yard sale. I was able to pick up a heavy box of assorted new ball and roller bearings along with a large assortment of ground tool steel shafting. I doubt I would ever have bought a few dozen 1/16 x 1 ¾ x 36” strips of phenolic, but they've turned out to be pretty handy. The list goes on.

Having stuff around means that projects can be done before the interest wanes. Projects are inspired with oddball things, like the spare titanium wedding band I made my wife. It’s light weight, the color is unique, and it doesn’t react with any chemicals on the human body.

I say keep it. It’s no more dangerous than the easily ignited solvents we all keep around or an old VW.

It could even be used because of its dimensions rather than it’s chemical or physical properties.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.