6-32 Insert Screws

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Dave_C

6-32 Insert Screws

Post by Dave_C »

I bought a set of 5 insert type lathe cutting tools from Enco last year and the screws have turned out to be soft as butter.

I measured them and they appear to be 6-32 insert type screws. Not the straight sided heads but the ones with the taperd heads that fit in the TNMG inserts.

Does anyone know where I can buy these screws? I have checked McMasters Carr and Enco and if they have them they list them in a way that I can't really tell what I am looking at as far as size and head configuration.

I also ran a 6-32 tap into the hole and it goes in by hand so it they must be 6-32 screws!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

DaveC , went to McMaster-Carr website and did a little digging . The bevel head screws have a 82 degree angle on them . Page # 3090 ,http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-flat-hea ... ws/=2zh3fu
Dave_C

6-32

Post by Dave_C »

Coal Miner,

Hum, I never thought of using simple SHCS. I'll double check the seating angle on the Inserts and see if this will work. If it does then the price is certainly much better than the $2.50 a screw that I have seen.

I'm looking at part #91253A150 @ 100 pieces for $10.87

Thanks,

Dave C.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Are these the tools you are using?

Anyone that sells these toolholders also sells replacement screws. MSC is also a good source to find screws for holding carbide inserts in place.

I also use the toolholders shown in the pic. I usually have replacement screws on hand. But, in a pinch I have used socket head flat head screws. I file a taper on the top of the screw head so the chips flow over the screw head.

Avoid over thightening the screws. Just Snug them up. They seem to tighten themselves.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

Not long ago I bought a couple of Mari boring bars, and they came with Torx screws. I've been thinking of switching all my insert holders to Torx. I'm tired of twisting those little hex wrenches.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

One of the most awsome pictures in my memory is that of a tiny screw, now that I think of it, it likey was to be an insert holding screw, in a giant 12x36" lathe 3 jaw chuck, with the head getting a bevel on it with the compound to cut the taper :)
(may need to make a collet to do it yourself to hold such a small screw, or custom jaws.... kinda think you might wanna work a tiny bit futher from the chuck myself)
Dave_C

Tools

Post by Dave_C »

Jim,

Yes, those look like the set I bought from Enco. I checked the catalog and I don't see any replacement screws. Not sure I would want them anyway as the ones I got were very soft and yes, they did self tighten. The socket heads just strip when you try to remove them. I took a hacksaw and made slots in the heads to remove them with a screwdriver. I got them out but I need something to replace them with that is going to last.

Thanks,

Dave C.
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I checked the catalog and I don't see any replacement screws.
Right here in a box called replacement hold down screws:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPA ... M=422-3695

You probably need pt #422-3696 or #422-3692

If you like MSC:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PM ... &PMCTLG=00
Pr#78639523

Someday you should upgrade to this toolholder. Uses the same insert.
Insert clamping system is much better. Bought mine on sale for $39.90.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PA ... O=17583310

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Dave_C

Correction

Post by Dave_C »

Jim,

Yes, I have to correct myself. I did see those screws from Enco but they did not state a thread pitch so I wasn't sure if they would fit or not? Strange, import tool holder using a 6-32 thread, maybe not.

The screws shown were for the USA brand and mine are not USA. I wish they were!

Anyway, at $2.18 A SCREW I thought I would look elsewhere. A bag 0f 50 screws from MCMaster Carr was only $5.00 so I'll see howthey work.

I looked at those other tool holders. Very nice!

Dave C.
Black_Moons

Post by Black_Moons »

a bag of what grade screws?
I wonder if those $2 screws are hardened or made of fancy steel like stressproof or something.
Dave_C

6-32 Screws

Post by Dave_C »

Black_Moons,

McMasters-Carr does not say what grade the screws are. Anything has to be harder than the soft as butter ones that came with the lathe tools.

I have used some of these 82 Degree flat head screws for other stuff and they are pretty hard.

I should have them in this week and I'll post a pic or something to show if they work.

Dave C.
turkeywire

Post by turkeywire »

Little Machine Shop sell them .75 each P/N2687. They have a real clear picture of them on their web site. They would not be hard to make out of SHCS's. Most SHCS are grade 8.