Knuth Lathes, better than the typical asian built?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

michaeljt

Knuth Lathes, better than the typical asian built?

Post by michaeljt »

I've been looking for a new lathe, a 12x36 or 13x40. I've checked out all the typical asian stuff, ie, Jet, Birmingham, Grizzly, HF, ect. I'm trying to find something in , quality, thats between these and say, a Myford, or Emco Maximat Super 11. The latter two being a little out of my price range. I came across Knuth Machines while surfing the internet. I contacted Knuth, and was told the two lathes I was interested in, the Basic 150 Super, and the Basic Plus, were both asian built, but that they were superior than the typical asian built machines because, production was stricly overseen at the factory, by their German engineers. Also, the lathes were given a through quality check at there Chicago warehouse, to make sure the lathes were up to there standards, before there shipped out. The two lathes that I asked about are approximately $800.00 more than the other asian lathes of the same size. I'm willing to pay a premium for a asian built lathe if it quality is better, but, I'm unsure if I'm just getting a sales pitch. Anyone there own a Knuth lathe, and what do you think of it. Mike.
Dennis O

Re: Knuth Lathes, better than the typical asian built?

Post by Dennis O »

Kent USA and Clark imported Asian lathes are also done to a tighter mfg standard than the usual group. They are test run and come assembled. I have a Kent 13 X 40 and am quite pleased with it.
michaeljt

Post by michaeljt »

Are Kent USA and Clark two different companys?
dampfwilli

Re: Knuth Lathes, better than the typical asian bu

Post by dampfwilli »

Mike, save the 800 $ !!
Its marketing, not more!
Emco has very high prices for spare parts.
And i heared from a english friend that Myford will be closed in the next time. Its true or not, i cant say.
I´m happy with my Schaublin. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.
Mike T.

Re: Knuth Lathes, better than the typical asian bu

Post by Mike T. »

Thanks for the info about Emco and Myford. But, do you have any experience with the Knuth lathe ?
JD_Brown

Post by JD_Brown »

Greetings:

I have seen Knuth machines at one of their showrooms, and also at the AMB metalworking show in Stuttgart, GE. Average chinese quality, extremely high prices. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Regards, Jim Brown