Best cutoff tool profile?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

atunguyd

Re: Best cutoff tool profile?

Post by atunguyd »

tornitore45 wrote:
Note that I am assuming here that the manufacturer is honest
Obviously, you have not dealt with Chinese manufacturer. I worked for a major computer company and rejecting non-compliant parts was a full job.
I am not talking about the rare defective part; I am talking about cheating by a process that could not possibly meat the specs.
Yeah for my sins in a previous life I have dealt with a factory in China.

My point though was that because a steel is marketed as "German steel",that does not make it better than the same spec steel marketed as "USA steel" or "Italian steel". M35 is M35 no matter who made it (unless it's actually is not M35).

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Inconsistent metallurgical identification is a major problem from certain parts of the world.

This is one of the reasons that none of the north American medical groups will use human implant devices made in certain locations.

It may be only a $10 screw....but if it fatigues, fractures and causes other problems, the $$$:of replacement far exceeds savings on the front end.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

A question that then comes to mind is any impurities in the steel. What is the allowance for impurities and how can that be checked? If a particular alloy is marketed as, say, M35, what is the level of permitted impurities and how can that be checked after the alloy has been created? And who does that checking?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the man finds the root cause of the problem 'who does the checking' ?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:35 pm the man finds the root cause of the problem 'who does the checking' ?

Yeah. I didn't want to clutter my question with this, but I can buy a cutoff blade off Ebay for $5 and from McMaster for $35. Allegedly the same steel. Now I trust McMaster, but how do I know for sure? How does McMaster know? How does the supplier to McMaster know? The only place that really knows is the mill where the steel is produced, and who keeps them honest?

There is an outfit called Valisure that tests pharmaceuticals and has discovered that goods from mainstream suppliers can vary significantly over what is stated on the label and can contain contaminants. But all we can do is to stagger into Walgreens and hope for the best. Same with steel, I guess. (Wish Walgreens would stock toolbits.....)

I have found that I do get more life to a cutting edge with name-brand toolbits over the plain-wrap stuff.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

While managing the student shops at the Univ. of Washington Mechanical Engineering College, I was called upon several times to get new metals tested for actual alloy contact at a local testing lab in Seattle. These metals were to be used in critical research projects where it truly mattered.
The lab used arc-strike analysis, plus chemical and mechanical tests, and we often learned that the "certified" materials were counterfeit from major "trusted" suppliers.
Sad situation.

Trust but verify...
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

NP317 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:53 pm ....
The lab used arc-strike analysis, plus chemical and mechanical tests, and we often learned that the "certified" materials were counterfeit from major "trusted" suppliers.

And to take this to absurdity, were the chemicals used for the tests, tested?

I think I'm going to go into the bedroom and lie down now. :|
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

all of this is exactly why nothing imported from 'untrusted' areas can be implanted into a living human.

There are no continuous quality checks of the supply chain.

I know that the folks that make dental implants do a spot-check of each bar they purchase.

if the test fails, then all the implants made from that bar are tossed (or clearly marked 'doctor sample only')
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I used to live in India.
I could just stop right there...

In the shopping town there were 6 pharmacies. one of them had a big line, you had to wait for up to 30 minutes sometimes.
The others could see to you right away.

So I was in the one with the long wait, finally got to the desk. Bought my meds, and was talking to the owner. I said we all wait here because you have a reputation for having proper medications, those others are all losing money because it's said that they sell counterfeit products.

"Sadly, not so about the money." he told me, "Our suppliers charge 80% of the retail rate; their suppliers charge 20% of the retail rate. Add other costs and they make as much or more than we do even though they sell much less."

And there's the problem.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it is always about $$$
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mauro, alas, it was part of a bundle of used tooling purchased on eBay. Didn’t know how good of a blade it was until I tried it, maybe a year after purchase. By then, really no way to trace its origin - unfortunately…

The junk cutoff blades were Grizzly import tooling. Really poor quality. Bind, shatter and explode regardless of what I did…. Finally just threw them away…
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 pm Mauro, alas, it was part of a bundle of used tooling purchased on eBay. Didn’t know how good of a blade it was until I tried it, maybe a year after purchase. By then, really no way to trace its origin - unfortunately…

The junk cutoff blades were Grizzly import tooling. Really poor quality. Bind, shatter and explode regardless of what I did…. Finally just threw them away…
Probably ok for cutting guitar parts