Synchonizing Manual Chain Falls

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Largo

Synchonizing Manual Chain Falls

Post by Largo »

Hi all,

I need to lift something that is heavy (4,500#) and long at 23 feet. It has to be lifted carefully and remain level on the way up. I know there are synchronized electric hoists but they cost mega dollars, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has seen a system that utilized either manual chain fall hoists or the Horror Fright electric type (I would probably need four of the latter). I suppose I could just pull 4" of the hand chain on a pair of 3-ton manual hoists alternately, but I'd end up walking 20 miles by the time I was done raising the thing the needed fifteen feet.

Thanx,

Largo in Taxachusetts
John Evans

Re: Synchonizing Manual Chain Falls

Post by John Evans »

Get a helper or rake out the hiking boots !
www.chaski.com
arborist

Post by arborist »

Use electric hoists. On each axis of the thing that is being lifted, fix half a sheet of plywood with a weighted, free hanging pointer. The pointer will always hang vertically. If you lift the thing askew, the background will move relative to the pointer, so on level ground, paint it with a vertical line and an acceptable 'out of level' zone. Control the hoists so the pointer stays in the acceptable zone. Stand in a position where you can see both pointers.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

23 Feet ? ----on a manual chainffall (s)
You make it sound like you need absolute level the whole way up ..
then it means one lift point that picks a beam ( say 14 ' ie)
that will have chains at its beam end to your weight

Consider hiring a truck crane OR renting two high lift fork trucks

RICH
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Get a helper and offer them beer post-work.
Much cheeper than forklifts...
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Largo wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:35 pm Hi all,

I need to lift something that is heavy (4,500#) and long at 23 feet. It has to be lifted carefully and remain level on the way up. I know there are synchronized electric hoists but they cost mega dollars, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has seen a system that utilized either manual chain fall hoists or the Horror Fright electric type (I would probably need four of the latter). I suppose I could just pull 4" of the hand chain on a pair of 3-ton manual hoists alternately, but I'd end up walking 20 miles by the time I was done raising the thing the needed fifteen feet.

Thanx,

Largo in Taxachusetts

No way I’d be using a Harbor Freight hoist to lift something that heavy and balance-sensitive a foot off the floor, let alone any significant height. Most of those Chinese-made hoists are not trustworthy, especially when it comes to keeping the load in check. You need to make an investment in quality lifting gear. The safety of your load and your person are worth a lot more than the discount you might get at Harbor Freight.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D