Most Dangerous Machine

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Most Dangerous Machine

Post by Mr Ron »

If you watch this video, go to the end. This is the most dangerous machine I have ever seen anyone make that would in a split second destroy an arm or hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2tHwbgUb3I .Something like this should never be entertained as being a legitimate tool.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jcfx

Re: Most Dangerous Machine

Post by jcfx »

At least he put endcaps on the open ends of the tubes, god forbid as you're pulled in those
sharp cornered tubes scratch you. :P
Darwin award nominee !
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

There are videos out there of using a semi truck brake drum, it's cut on a spiral, and much faster than that one. I've got some Elm, maybe I should ship Him some. Find out how good His keyways are.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

All things considered, it is a bit safer than the way I have seen some people swing an axe...

:shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

But will it safely split gnarly wood, and not just those straight-grain pieces?
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If you have to ask.....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:58 pm If you watch this video, go to the end. This is the most dangerous machine I have ever seen anyone make that would in a split second destroy an arm or hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2tHwbgUb3I .Something like this should never be entertained as being a legitimate tool.

Looks like something designed by referring to the medieval version of Machinery’s Handbook. Lord help him if that rotating pirate’s hook ever grabs hold of his arm.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Dangerous, but not the MOST dangerous by far.
A guy I know (online) in Portugal makes a lot of machines and implements for his tractor, and he's really quite skilled too.
But one thing he made is just nuts; a PTO powered brush chipper. A rotating propeller like blade with small clearance to a heavy plate. That's all.
It works; but wholly **** I wouldn't want to be near that thing.
It looks like the youtube vid has been removed. Maybe it was considered dangerous.

And I've seen a bunch of other crazy stuff on there, lots of wood splitters with various degrees of insanity.
mikechoochoo

Post by mikechoochoo »

Of course there are the ones you see at old tractor shows made out of an old large steel wheel with a wedge fastened to it. No brake, seldom a clutch, they just keep spinning until shut off. Yes some shows demonstrate them, but there is NO room for mistakes.
M. Nix
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

like the old 'Dudley Do-Right' lumber saws.....

neighbor had one in the family saw mill.

I refused to even be in the building when it was running...

if you got picked up by the log carriage, you would come out he other end in 6" wide sections before he could get to the manually operated clutch between the 200 HP diesel and the arbor of the 5' diameter saw blade...
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

I applaud his industriousness, and understand he's working with what he has. Hopefully he finds a better use for his engineering degree.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I watched the video from the beginning before I got to the part that readers considered dangerous. I thought the rotating splitter was a bit much but I probably do worse when it comes to splitting kindling. I use a hatchet and a 10" set of channel grips and I can't see much difference in the risk between a rotating splitter and my hatchet. But that said I was most impressed by the speed he got things done. I realize he had the advantage of stop and start video but I was mostly watching how long his cuts took and how effective his MIG welder was. In my shop I have every tool he used, but I never though to use them in the way he demonstrated. I have a rebuild of my 3-in-1 ongoing and to cut a 7/16 steel plate I try to do it in my band-saw. I have already spent several days on it yet I watched him cut the base of his roller-bender in under 5 minutes. I watched him cut and weld up lots of 1x1 tube in less that 1 minute per weld yet I don't even know how to use my MIG welder. I have a cold cut off grinding tool yet I never use it because it seems to throw off too much grit. He illustrated doing things in a manner I had not ever considered.