Can anyone identify this cutter?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DavoDavo

Can anyone identify this cutter?

Post by DavoDavo »

Hi all,
I brought this cutter with me when I emigrated from England to Australia in 1972. It has been lovingly kept in my toolbox with all the other tools since then but the other day I took it out to have a good look at it after discovering it lurking there.
I have no idea what it is or where I got it from.
It appears to be a 5/8" fine Whitworth thread pitch and is marked 5/8" however the tooth profile is near enough 90 degrees?
The shank is plain with no taper.
Thanks,
Davo.
Attachments
Tool1.jpg
Tool2.jpg
Technical Ted

Re: Can anyone identify this cutter?

Post by Technical Ted »

I have some boring bars that are shaped somewhat similar to that. Could that be a long reach chamfer tool?

Ted
DavoDavo

Post by DavoDavo »

That's possible I guess, but why does it seem to have a screw cutting helix of about 2/3 of a complete circle?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

DavoDavo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:27 am That's possible I guess, but why does it seem to have a screw cutting helix of about 2/3 of a complete circle?
Because to sharpen it you only need to grind the flat top surface,the other clearance angles are built in. See the old Armstrong threading cutters used mostly with the rocker style tool post system. that cutter looks like a snail shell in profile. Your tool is a boring bar, I have some similar.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It's just a (Bokum) boring bar (for mill use).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
DavoDavo

Post by DavoDavo »

Thanks for the help. 8)
I checked out Bokum boring bars on the web. It's a through hole boring bar.

Cheers,
Dave. :D