W00t! Ebay delivers!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcenhillk

W00t! Ebay delivers!

Post by mcenhillk »

I know this edition is 10,000-years older than dirt but my new-to-me lathe is 20-+-ish years older than this book so I'm excited. :D

(looks like gravity doesn't work properly here. spent 30m trying to rotate the image but the software is smarter than me)
Attachments
PXL_20210927_213955076.jpg
pete

Re: W00t! Ebay delivers!

Post by pete »

Great score. In a non CNC home shop it's exactly what you want.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Young lathe....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I have the 17th edition 1971,that's modern enough. Also the American Machinist Handbook 7th edition 1940, and a collectors edition reprint of the Machinery Handbook 1st, 1914. Mind you, the current large print edition might be good for ISO. The American Machinist is said to have some shaper pages.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I have both the 16th and 18th editions. One was my dad's and the other I bought when I started rowing the corporate galley.
I bet my backup lathe is older than yours. Cast into the legs is Sebastian and May Cincinnati Ohio. according to Vintage Machinery it was made in the late 1890's. Long story on how I got it, but it was cheap at an estate sale.
Sebastian and May.JPG
Operator's station
Operator's station
No dials or compound, no roller bearing headstock, no threading dial and obviously no quick change gears.
Sorry about bringing this up but I am amused every time someone mentions that they have an "old lathe".
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
mcenhillk

Post by mcenhillk »

Yeah, my lathe is a 10" Atlas with the Babbitt bearings. Based on the serial numbers I can find on Vintage Machinery, I'm guessing late '30s to early '40s. Three decades before my time? Yeah, it's old to me. There will always be older but I'm not sure I want to get into flat belts. The thing that really lifts my kilt are pre-cnc setups and tooling that let us win WWII and fly to the moon. Manual machining, OA welding, and layout. Sure, it's rose colored glasses looking back to a fictional history but it's what I'm interested in.

Awesome looking lathe!
Downwindtracker2

The development of arc welding during WW2 of ships and tanks is pretty interesting. It deserves some recognition. The Japanese welded a warship , to save weight,it broke up in a typhoon . They went back to riveting.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Before they knew about HAZ

Ever see the gunnel bands (probably not the correct term) on a Liberty Ship?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have 5 rivetted vessels in the Netherlands; no welding was used in their manufacture, all pre-war.
A story my welding buddy liked to tell;
Ship owner orders new bollards to be fitted, but was unhappy when he saw they were welded instead of rivetted.
Shipyard told the barge owner that this new-fangled welding process is stronger than riveting, but he didn't believe them. To prove the work was no good, he attached a chain the new bollard and took the ship forward at full power.
When the chain became taught, the rivets attaching the stern failed and half the stern tore loose, while the welds held.

The old bollards were sometimes forged from plate and rivetted together, some were cast and then rivetted to the deck and rail.
I made many replacements, hammering a steel disk concave and then welding it to a pipe.

All the larger Dutch ships have 16mm rivets. When rust forms between the plates or between the plate and beam, it will eventually break the rivet.
Then you get a leak.

The old prewar steel is different than the material we get today. It's sort of layered, when you weld it you have to use a lot of power and pernitrate right through.

Opps, gone off topic...
RSG

Post by RSG »

Great score Mcenhillk!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Downwindtracker2

That's OK, liveaboard. Metallurgy during the war was like electronics are now, great advances were made.

I have 6" shop built shaper. I guess it to be early to mid '50s. it doesn't even have numbered collars. That is one of the projects.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I have an 18th Ed, inherited from my daddy. (Also an 11th and 13th -- I live in a 3 story house, and it's nice not to have to walk far for a reference! 😂 )

The only reason I'd like a newer one is for more metric info.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"