Forced Into the 21st Century

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Forced Into the 21st Century

Post by whateg0 »

For power failure a simple contactor configured to be latching works just fine. It just doesn't provide any load protection. A toggle switch to control your spindle off plenty sufficient. You are just controlling the fwd and rev control lines to the machine. You aren't directly controlling the power to the motor. In fact most will tell you that you should never disconnect power from the motor while under power or you risk burning up the vfd
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Many VFDs if in the run state when the power is restored will not start until the run signal is cleared and reinstated.

Before fixing a problem that does not exist...try it.

Power on.
Start spindle
Power off
Power on

If spindle does not start then all you need is an fwd-off-rev switch and no relays or contactor.

If the spindle DOES start...then look for a setting in the parameters.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
chief

Post by chief »

The Hitachi WJ200 seems to be pretty common. If you search for it on Youtube you will find at lest a dozen or so video's, including several on basic setup. I can't vouch for their quality, I didn't watch any of them, just checked to see if there were any, but you might want to go through a few and see if they help.
Terry
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Thanks for all the help and listening with understanding to my rant about how complicated modern life has gotten. I've also have gotten old and stupid.Maybe that's why the difficulties, chuckle.

I've watched a few of those vids. One was in a foreign language , in another, the girl they had announcing, though pretty, had a voice so squeaky I only watched it once, I just couldn't a second time.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:11 pm Many VFDs if in the run state when the power is restored will not start until the run signal is cleared and reinstated.

Before fixing a problem that does not exist...try it.

Power on.
Start spindle
Power off
Power on

If spindle does not start then all you need is an fwd-off-rev switch and no relays or contactor.

If the spindle DOES start...then look for a setting in the parameters.
All of mine have a setting to control that. By default, they all behave that way (mine, that is). It is hard to tell what OP mains connection is like. If he is trying to use factory momentary switches, then external hardware may still be needed. I do agree that it is good to get the machine running in a basic config then add bells and whistles, though.
Downwindtracker2

I picked up a barrelswitch at Princess Auto. They called it a 1hp, manufacturer rates it as 18amp at 220. odd that. That will be my forward, stop and reverse. Princess Auto stuff is quite reasonable, so I'm not out much with the switch change. It not like they are Allen Bradley . Two will still be used for jog.

I'm retired now, but at work, when we opened the cabinet, I called the electrician.

I've been reading up on the Hitachi WJ200 at Practical Machinist. One poster recommended reading though the manual at least 3 times, 3 x 522 pages, that's longer than War and Peace.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Hopefully that huge manual is in 30 different languages and the English section is only 17 pages long...
RussN
And 10 of those pages are Do Don't and safety warning such as Do not immerse in water and similar common sense.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

WHAT....you purchased a non submergible VFD? what were you thinking?

You must not live near a coastline
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Downwindtracker2

We are on high enough ground. I tell them don't worry about earthquakes, just worry about a pyroclastic flow .It makes them feel so much better, chuckle.
Downwindtracker2

Good news to report, I was finally able to power up. Doing so , I found the motor and my adaption worked. I still have to program the VFD to accept my newly wired in switches, hopefully it does.

With the lathe functional , I could drill and ream the bronze bushings to 9/16" from 1/2". I get to do this again as I had in my head the spring eyes were 7/8", instead when I went to install them on my 1958 utility trailer, I discouvered, I measured wrong, they are 3/4". After many replacements of the plastic bushings, I decided to install "wet bolts", greaseable, and bronze bushings. Being a 1958 they weren't off the shelf. I think these, Princess Auto bushing are oil impregnated, at least the last three packs said so. They are quite fragile, they crack. They are 1' and I need 1 3/4" . Suspension parts like these are not measured in thousand of an inch.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Welcome to the 21st;
I hope you'll be happy here, your VFD will function flawlessly, and your suspension bushings will fit.

I put some new bronze ones from the dealer on my old Mercedes truck, and it turned out they needed reaming, or turning. as I was without much tooling, I used emery cloth around a dowel in a drill.
Like you said about suspension parts...
Downwindtracker2

That might have been the best way to open them up. I had 4 eyes to do, so I needed 8 of the 1" long to get my 1 3/4". Drilling them out and reaming them worked for the first 4,but the next 8 broke, but enough was left to get my 3/4". After my screw up, I purchased 12 more. I gave up with drilling them out 1/64 shy and reaming them. I ended just using a 9/16" drill. That seemed to work little better. I still had to sharpen the bit for almost every bushing. I think I dulled my Bosnian made reamer.