Forced Into the 21st Century

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

Re: Forced Into the 21st Century

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I've been under the trailer, one side spring eyes are 3/4", the other side 7/8". I feel better.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Ha!
That proves that you're not the first to go there.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have a couple of the Hitachi VFDs. I am not an expert, but have successfully set up a few of them. Most VFD will run with either momentary of hold type switches. There is a FWD, REV and RUN commands. One can set it up as a run and stop on one switch and fwd and rev on another. Or fwd/run and rev/run. My lathe is setup the first way and the mill the second way.
In the USA, emergency stop is always set up as coast to stop. When using braking, there is a time constant setup with it, for which the braking cycle will use the entirety of while stopping. If something is trying to stop the machine at a faster rate than the time constant, the machine will add power to the the spindle, so it uses the entire time constant. If coasting to a stop the object can stop the machine at a shorter cycle than the time constant.
Downwindtracker2, send me a private message, if you would like, and I will see what I can do to help you get setup. I am in Washington state, just south of you, so we may be able to talk by phone.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:26 am
NP317 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 am
Downwindtracker2 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 pm [snip] the manual is 522 pages.[snip]
Hopefully that huge manual is in 30 different languages and the English section is only 17 pages long...
RussN
I just replaced our (gas) kitchen range and was a bit startled to see a 64 page owner's manual come with it. I was thinking "just how complicated can a stove be?" <snip> Are people really that stupid that they have to be warned that stoves get hot, boiling liquids can cause burns, and a gas flame can start a fire?
Sadly, that is part and parcel of living in a litigious society!

NO ONE wants to take responsibility for their own idiocy...err, ignorance..., err, actions!

So, it becomes the responsibility of the manufacturer to disclaim liability.

Granted, there are many cases where a manufacturer's design failure resulted in death -- but it has really gone beyond true, intentional liability.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"