Need help identifying a joint

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Need help identifying a joint

Post by whateg0 »

Dad is wanting to install an electric trunk release in his Coronet. The flat shaft that releases the latch only rotates with the key in the lock cylinder. I know there are many things that use what I want to make for it, but I cannot think of what to search for to see if one is already available that could be adapted. Basically the flat shaft going through the latch needs to turn almost 90 degrees to release. The key needs to be able to do this, and it's okay if it moves the actuator when doing so. But the actuator needs to be able to turn it as well, without the key in the cylinder. What is this called? I can draw it up, but thought I would see if I could find one somewhere first. I'll cut the existing shaft and this will go in between the lock cylinder and the latch. help please!
pete

Re: Need help identifying a joint

Post by pete »

Solenoid?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Thanks but I know what a solenoid is
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

rotary solenoid? Some turn instead of pull or push.

Any chance of an online search or visit to a wrecking yard to see what the original item looked like. An auto repair manual for a car that had one should show pictures of the part.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

That should be a common enough part. Custom car guys were removing the external key and using some form of solenoid to operate the latch many many years ago. J C Whitney catalog would have had them . Nowadays Speedway Motors maybe ? Pull solenoid pulling a short piece of cable to a arm on the rotating shaft. Cable would still let the key be used without interfering with the solenoid.
www.chaski.com
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Solenoid pulling on a rotary arm with a one way clutch in the center around the key shaft
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm clearly not explaining the part well enough. Yes, a solenoid will pull a lever attached to the shaft. Yes people have been removing the lock cylinder and replacing it with a solenoid for years. So far Bill has come the closest to what I am wanting.

I had searched for overrunning clutch. The problem with it is that while it does allow the solenoid to rotate the shaft one direction without the key present, it won't let it return since that is going the other direction.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Here's what I'm looking for. Yes I can make it. I'm trying to find one that already exists.
Attachments
20210905_090538.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If you spring load the cylinder to return...the clutch will do what you appear to need
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:04 pm If you spring load the cylinder to return...the clutch will do what you appear to need
The point is that the cylinder won't turn without the key, which kind of defeats the purpose of the keyless remote.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

This is where you put the one way clutch between the key and the mechanism so that it CAN turn.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

No need for a clutch. Assuming that the shaft already has a spring return the shaft needs to be coupled to the cylinder by a pin-in-slot mechanism such that the shaft can turn at least 90 degrees without moving the cylinder when the solenoid pulls on the cable. When it releases the spring rotates the shaft back so that the pin is at the slot end. Then rotating the cylinder will rotate the shaft.

I can visualize the mechanism but I can't put a name on it either.