DC variable speed motors

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Conrad_R_Hoffman

Re: DC variable speed motors

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

Go to Automation Direct and buy a purpose-built 3-phase motor and inexpensive VFD. You'll save in the long run.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Conrad_R_Hoffman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:48 pm Go to Automation Direct and buy a purpose-built 3-phase motor and inexpensive VFD. You'll save in the long run.
The VFD is almost $200, so it's already more expensive than the sewing machine motor and you don't have the motor yet.

Advantage would be I can use one VFD to control two motors because I don't need to run the mill and the lathe at the same time (they will be on opposite ends of the same bench).

We have a surplus store locally that has 3-phase motors and occasionally VFD's, so I am going to check them out.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

One vfd on two motors is ok as long as they can both run with similar vfd parameters.

You may well find that by the time you Invest in switches and boxes...you will have darn near the cost of a second vfd.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

The reason for buying a purpose-built motor is they're designed to operate with a VFD over a wide speed range. A lot of the surplus/treadmill stuff won't be as satisfactory, but as a dumpster-diving cheapskate myself, it's worth a try and might get the job done.
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."