digital calipers that don't require the on button press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: digital calipers that don't require the on button press

Post by liveaboard »

whateg0 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:01 pm setting a target on a digital and then using that to get down to the finish passes
That's where the digital caliper is superior for sure, especially for dyslexic people like me.
Anything that can reduce dumb errors make me feel more clever.
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Where the digital calipers really shine, is the "What is it ?" something like 12mm or 1/2" ? A dial may mean taking the measurement and walking over to the conversion poster. I did get tired of always changing the battery, or worse , run out, so I bought a Mit.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Downwindtracker2 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:44 pm Where the digital calipers really shine, is the "What is it ?" something like 12mm or 1/2" ? A dial may mean taking the measurement and walking over to the conversion poster. I did get tired of always changing the battery, or worse , run out, so I bought a Mit.
That's true too a point. I acquired a box of Allen keys of varying sizes. Measuring them I found a bunch that could've been metric or inch, missing both by a few thou. This is more the case in small sizes like 3/32" (0.094") and 2.5 mm (0.098").