2x72 grinder dust shield

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

2x72 grinder dust shield

Post by Glenn Brooks »

A bunch of us Metalheads locally are going to build some 2” x72” grinders. These will 2 or 3 hp units, depending on each person’s shop needs.

These grinders are capable of a high feed rate and apparently throw a great deal of grit and swarf around the shop.

Anyone have a design or suggestion for building some kind of dust shield, box, or vacuum funnel to collect the grit off the platten?

Thanks much,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
BadDog

Re: 2x72 grinder dust shield

Post by BadDog »

If there's any magic to handle that, I don't know it. It will be interesting to see what you get on the topic.

My 5HP G8 has the belt running in a big cast iron casting with a sort of catch bin in the bottom. That thing eats metal and turns it into coarse dust at a frightening pace. The design seems to do a decent job, but not a practical solution to the typical flexible 2x72s.

My 6x12 SG has a vacuum catch casting at the ejection side of the wheel cover. It feeds an undermount high flow vacuum cabinet with a massive filter like a hanging file folder setup, and it too works well. But again, not particularly helpful to the topic at hand, though I could imagine such a system being put into use on a belt grinder where you could locate the inlet as needed for the variety of configurations.

I have a 2x42 Porter Cable and a 2x42 Burr King that make no attempt to handle their cast off.

I'm building my own Frankin-Grinder 2x72 slowly over the last few years. I have no good plans for how to handle the same issue you asked about.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
partime

Post by partime »

Glenn,
I built a 2 x 70 2hp variable speed belt grinder. They work like a champ but man o man are they filthy. I almost never run mine indoors. I have it on a cart and roll it outside anytime I can. Even in the winter. The one thing you want to be aware of is they can be a fire hazard. I have a bucket of water that I use under the contact wheels or the platen that the majority of the grindings are directed into if doing any significant grinding. The vast majoirty are Bador knockoffs so knifemaker sites are a good place to look for ideas. Many of the guys I know struggle with dust collection due to the heat generated. But I am sure there are many ideas and solutions. One thing to keep in mind is to mount it low enough and not too high. Easier to control about hip level, at least that has worked well for me.
Terry
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Glenn,

https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/j-4103 ... 1ph/577000

It would be easy to build one of these, and there is a connection on the back for dust collection. I have one of these grinders from
the Wilton days. It works great and doesn't really throw the debris around that bad. Mine has the 3/4hp single phase motor, but at
the foundry that I had worked at, we would replace the motor with a 2hp, 3ph one.

Jim B
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Parts are in,
38D461AD-ABB6-432B-AB0B-41F98242CB2B.jpeg

some of the local peps who built these previously, say most of the sparks and grit shoots out the bottom, so they add a collection bucket below the platten.

Probably should have mentioned this earlier. Here’s the unit we are getting ready to build: http://jerswoodshop.com/gen-2-belt-grinder/

I like the idea of mounting on casters, and pushing it outside. Or, thinking of building a separate extension to the shop, for all the dirty work - cutting, grinding, welding, etc.

Or, Maybe I should just convert to HO scale...

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

pete

Post by pete »

If you haven't seen this yet Glenn? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okvKEaiH-n0 I thought it was a really clever addition to a belt grinder to allow profile grinding to a cheap and easy to make template.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Pete, Thanks. No had not seen it. But way cool. I want to add this feature to my build, soon as the grinder itself gets done.

Jeremy has a knack for making this stuff seem dead easy. Considering he apparently dreams up the design from scratch. Experienced beyond his years! He’s also a local guy. Apparently lives just a few miles from us...

Glenn

pete

Post by pete »

Yep Jeremy is a pretty clever guy for sure. With your interests and a tilting table it would be great for replicating casting draft and complex external radiused profiles when the accuracy of machined surfaces isn't required on bar stock parts. A build your own no casting castings kit that could be used for a lot of parts. :-)
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I know on all the belt Sanders I've used, if there's not a shield over the top, assuming the platen is vertical, grit does follow it around and over the top.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Glenn wrote: Jeremy has a knack for making this stuff seem dead easy. Considering he apparently dreams up the design from scratch. Experienced beyond his years! He?s also a local guy. Apparently lives just a few miles from us...
I'd bet a nickel that Jeremy would be really happy to hear about your laser cut parts and how many of his grinders you guys are making. Do you have a way to contact him?

-- Russell Mac
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russell, yes, we’ve been in touch with him several times thus far. Also, each person who ordered a parts kit was responsible for ordering one set of his on line plans.

rmac

Post by rmac »

Great!