Machine lights

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Machine lights

Post by liveaboard »

Someone else suggested using oil tubes for machine lights; I needed 2 for coolant but they came in a box of 6 so I had spares.

I found lamp bases cheap, used delron rod for the bodies, and 5w tight focus bulbs.
It was tricky to arrange the mounts so they won't interfere with anything. still not sure if I succeeded.
I had to buy wire because I didn't have any 220V stuff thin enough.

I wired them to the main machine power switch, so they're on when it's on. This is so I won't forget to turn it off (as often).

I don't know if you have this base type in the US. Works well for this, compact and the bulb locks in.
light socket detail.jpg
I bored it and then widened it inside with a grooving cutter. Plastic is... plastic.
mill flex light detail.jpg
Ruhla 250-710 flex lights and new oil tube.jpg
JackF

Re: Machine lights

Post by JackF »

I like it. :D :D

Jack.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Works for me, too. The tuna can shade just adds panache.
Locline Lamp
Locline Lamp
And again
and again
and again
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I've never thought of using tin cans as shades. That's awesome
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Tin cans, makes me feel like a real waster for using new material!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

whateg0 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:04 pmI've never thought of using tin cans as shades. That's awesome.
Progresso® soup cans are quite useful due to their size. I have one filled with cutting oil that is strapped to the column of my drill press. I keep an acid brush in it for applying oil.

assembled02.jpg

I also have one sitting on my lathe's crossfeed, for the same purpose.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:16 pm
whateg0 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:04 pmI've never thought of using tin cans as shades. That's awesome.
Progresso® soup cans are quite useful due to their size. I have one filled with cutting oil that is strapped to the column of my drill press. I keep an acid brush in it for applying oil.

I also have one sitting on my lathe's crossfeed, for the same purpose.
I just dumped the one on the lathe cross ways cover behind the lathe when the compound bolt broke loose and my hand bumped the can.