They're perfect. But they're wrong.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

They're perfect. But they're wrong.

Post by Greg_Lewis »

So I thought I'd break away from the regular projects and make a couple of nice toolrest tables for my assorted bench grinders. This is the sort of project we all put off for years because we're too busy with other things. But the frustration of switching the one good table between grinders finally got to me.

The design is a cobble of two others I've seen in the hobby press: one from Harold Hall's book Tool and Cutter Sharpening, and the other from one of the Village Press magazines. I decided that, although it's not necessary, I'd work to .001 as it's been a while since I needed to do that and I thought it would be fun and something to keep my skills up. So I made a dovetail slide for one of the tables that will eventually be part of a drill bit sharpening gadget. With lots of tricky clamping I match-drilled holes so everything would line up perfect. Came out great. Right on the money. Until I noticed that I'd made it a mirror image of what I needed.

As Ron Popeil (founder of Ronco, home of the Veg-O-Matic) used to say, "But wait! There's more!" I also needed four little blocks of 1/2-inch square CRS with a couple of holes in them; one threaded and one through. And were they perfect! Right down to the last .001. Match drilled, tool marks carefully removed. holes chamfered, sharp edges taken down. But then..... I discovered that there is a better way to fit the related bits together.

I salvaged the dovetail slide and, as my avitar proclaims, it's "ehh, good enough." And now I've got a set of perfect blocks. All I need now is a project that needs them. :roll:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Re: They're perfect. But they're wrong.

Post by NP317 »

"Until I noticed that I'd made it a mirror image of what I needed. "

I've NEVER done that... :roll:
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Glad to hear it, Russ. Need a couple of perfect 1/2 x 3/4-inch blocks w. pre-drilled holes?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
pete

Post by pete »

I think if you haven't done anything like this yet you just haven't made enough parts. :-( Unless it's something simple where the part orientation makes no difference this is the reason I do a rough layout even with a felt pen showing drilled/ tapped holes, hash marked areas showing material removal etc. More complex parts get a lot more accurate layout on the surface plate. It won't stop the mistakes if you lay it out wrong, but it gives you a way to visualize the finished part before removing any metal.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I did that, Pete, but it didn't help. Note the last line in my sig.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

And I thought that only happened to me (being dyslexic).

It happens so often, I've developed coping skills.