Thread milling vs single point threading

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Thread milling vs single point threading

Post by Mr Ron »

As the title reads, what is the advantage/disadvantage of each method?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Re: Thread milling vs single point threading

Post by pete »

With cnc or just on manual only machines?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Thread milling is really tough to do on a manual machine
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

Not really Bill, I have a stand alone milling head designed to be used on a lathe cross slide and called a Quick Step Mill. https://www.google.com/search?q=quick+s ... 18&dpr=1.5 Set it to the threads helix angle and the lathe for the right thread pitch then full depth threads can be done with a 60 degree blade type cutter, ACME threads etc, or slower but even a single tooth fly cutter could be used. Hand turning the head stocks spindle of course. A universal dividing head geared to the mills X axis, again tilting the head to the correct helix can also do it. That's why I asked, manual or cnc since it can still be done with either.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Like I said...really tough to do..
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

pete wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:37 pm Not really Bill, I have a stand alone milling head designed to be used on a lathe cross slide and called a Quick Step Mill. https://www.google.com/search?q=quick+s ... 18&dpr=1.5 Set it to the threads helix angle and the lathe for the right thread pitch then full depth threads can be done with a 60 degree blade type cutter, ACME threads etc, or slower but even a single tooth fly cutter could be used. Hand turning the head stocks spindle of course. A universal dividing head geared to the mills X axis, again tilting the head to the correct helix can also do it. That's why I asked, manual or cnc since it can still be done with either.
Sounds like too much hoop-jumping in exchange for the results. If I'm going to use a lathe to cut threads, as opposed to a hobber, I'll do the single-point setup. That takes only a few minutes on my lathe, including the time need to determine the appropriate thread depth on my calculator.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah it probably is for most threads unless it's something special like a long lead thread. While the head can do those threads, it's mainly meant for milling, bolt pcd drilling etc. on work that's already been turned concentric. CNC much, much easier if the machine is capable of doing so. But Ron still hasn't specified which.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Thread milling is generally a cnc operation...usually when parts are not on an axis rotational center

However it is commonly done on dental implants where the internal threads are small and the material tough.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Big advantage of thread milling vs single point is a thread can be milled just about anywhere. Thread milling does not require synchronization of the tool spindle. Work size is less of a factor. That's all done on a milling machine.

On a lathe, is it really called thread milling? Live tooling can produce a thread but I've never heard that referred to as thread milling.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

oh yes....it is still called thread milling on a lathe
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Manual lathe.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Then unless you have some very special equipment.. then single point threading