The price of steel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: The price of steel

Post by liveaboard »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:56 am Sell the boat for scrap and you'd make a huge profit! :lol:
It would cost as much to break up as the value of the metal; as scrap, it's worthless.

On the other hand, as a complete ship as it is right now, where it is right now, I can get close to 7 figures for it.

It is in fact, sometimes referred to as an "ark" by the Dutch, and the ship type is called an "Aak"

All that steel and all that wood, and the years of work I put in it, are finally reflected in the sale value.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hey Liveaborard: Sounds awesome. How about a photo?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I worked on it for years; maybe 6000 hours.
12 tons of steel, a mile of weld, 5 tons of wood (including 125 sheets of plywood) miles of wires, some pipe...
I fitted a bow thruster, rebuilt an old anchor winch, made my own rudder position indicator, rebuilt the steering, rebuilt the transmission, made 2 water tanks, 2 fuel tanks, on and on and on.
I made the cabinet work from rough sawn to finish, I even made the furniture (not the chairs though). The floorboards were milled from the same material, young teak from Venezuela.
All materials were cunningly purchased, even the insulation was bought on special sale. There's a 700 square foot hardwood sun deck on top.

I got the empty vessel cheap, it had legal mooring as a city residence but in a place with no electric connection.
I knew the power company would have to give the boats power; there are laws.
Now it has 3-phase, water, cable TV, internet, and even sewer connection (which is troublesome).

It can navigate, but it doesn't. It's worth much more sitting still.
The neighborhood is being completely renovated, from old industrial waterfront to a fancy residential zone. When that's completed, we'll likely sell out.
After 20 years of occupancy, everything is still just as I built it. I never even refinished the floor.
I did repaint the exterior two or three times over the years.
Attachments
Vrije Muselaer starboard.jpg
wharf2 2002.JPG
18 Muselaer front closet.jpg
14 main cabin2small.jpg
12 muselaer open roof.jpg
9 Muselaer livingroom5.jpg
rmac

Post by rmac »

Wow. Just wow.

-- Russell Mac
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

A few more pics; liveaboard family in 1936, some tech things, carpentry details.
I had access to a friend's wood shop, that made a lot of it possible.
Muselaer trim details.jpg
The bow thruster can be accessed with the ship in the water; I even removed the thruster motor and withdrew it out through the top, but that caused water to come in through a 4" hole for 5 or 10 seconds.
That was exciting.
The gearbox had a tiny metal ball stuck in the bevel gears, luckily there was no damage.
bow thruster inside 2.jpg
I designed the control panels on a PC and had them engraved at a shop. A bit costly but it looks really sharp. In this pic, the new CIS system required to keep the navigable status.
muselaer helm right.jpg
The DC power board, not in use now.
engine room DC power board.jpg
I bought an antique anchor windlass, it was rusted solid but complete. added a hydraulic motor, bearings, had the parts galvanized. The surveyor figured it's worth a couple of grand as a usable but semi-authentic historic piece. It can be hand cranked too, but it's a lot of work if there's much length of chain out.
anchor windlass left.jpg

The milled wood window trim for the curved bits.
P0001089.JPG
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Whew! Phenomenal! That's a level of dedication and talent I can only imagine.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

rmac wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:30 pm Wow. Just wow.

-- Russell Mac
Imdeed, double WOW !
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I just moved and probably took 500 lbs of metal with me.

My wife thought I was nuts.

I showed her a 6' long 1/2" diameter piece of 360. Told her that it would get me $4.50 at the scrap yard. To order it would cost $60 plus shipping.

If the retail had been $10, maybe $20, I would have sold every piece I had and not moved any of it, but with a price difference like that, it's all coming with me. The moving company charged by the foot of trailer used and not by the pound.

Oh, and I probably GAVE AWAY 100+ pounds.

Steve
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Liveaboard:
RESPECT.

RussN
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Thanks!
This picture didn't come through; historic photo of the ship from 1936 that the previous owner got from an old guy who was born aboard.
The vessel was built around 1912, and was made to sail, inland waters only.
It was changed several times over the years. Steering cabin was added, motor changed, sailing mast and leeboards removed.
Attachments
Muselaer Family 1936.jpg
muselaer with sand belgium.jpg
muselaer family somer 1950.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:00 am Liveaboard:
RESPECT.

RussN
Indeed!
Lots of it.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That Ark must have been a lumbering brute under sail!
I can't imagine having the time to sail it anywhere.
But then life was measurably slower...
RussN