The price of steel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: The price of steel

Post by liveaboard »

I think it had an engine when built; probably a monster 1 or 2 cylinder.
I also have an older, smaller one built in 1888 that had an engine refit in the 1910's.
The sail would have been used when the wind direction was useful, and the engine used as necessary.
Before diesel engines, these canal barges would have been pulled from the bank by humans or animals when the wind was not useful.
Steam engines were not often used, as the cost in money, space, and weight (with fuel)was too high.
The small boat had a 30 ton payload, and an 8 ton diesel motor. It was still in there when we got the boat, but had been allowed to freeze (boom).

In this picture, the tiller has been replaced by the mechanical double worm screw that's still in there now, but it's been disconnected so the skipper can stand on top of a high load with a long tiller.
I don't know how he's controlling the motor, probably by shouting instructions down to the wife or kid.
muselaer hay load [date unknown].jpg
In this one, she's frozen into the ice in 1941-42. I have some German paperwork from the occupation era, Nazi eagle and everything.
Muselaer winter 41-42 Amsterdam.jpg
Another boat I worked on had a diagonal line of bullet holes, with exit holes on the other side. 5mm steel does not stop machine gun bullets.

skinning in the interior.
P0000580.JPG
Laying the teak floorboards
P0000552.JPG
P0000550.JPG
Sailing through Amsterdam harbor half built; after building the frame, I bought the 5mm sheet and had it loaded directly on top. The bigger pieces were 1/5 ton each and I had no facilities to lift them.
me + my ship, half built.JPG