MLA Filing Machine

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: MLA Filing Machine

Post by RSG »

Nice job Jeanluc83
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

My friend started making clock parts again and so re-set up his filing machine and adjusted it carefully. Then because the parts were small and hard to grip with his fingers, he made a tooling block. This was essentially a 3" x 4" x 1/2" ground steel plate with an array of tapped holes in it. He made some small clamps similar in form to those in a mill fixture set. He said it made a world of difference in holding the parts without "bounce". Just a suggestion. I can get a picture if that would help.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

By all means post some pictures. That sounds like something that could be really useful. Building a skeleton clock is a "some day" project.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Here is the tooling block my friend Mr. Washington made. It is 4 in x 5 in with an array of 10-24nc tapped holes. It is 5/8 in thick to provide some weight. He plans to make more clamps of different shapes to hold different parts. Right now it is a work in progress.
Tooling Block
Tooling Block
Hope it is a useful suggestion.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Clickspring made a block for holding work on the belt sander, drill press and die filer.

It has a grove on one side for holding round stock and a notch on the other side so that it will better support parts when you need to work in the center of the part.

You can see the videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgBM-JV ... 80&index=3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5T0Wen ... 80&index=4

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

Good point Steve, that Clickspring block was borrowed from one of the G.H. Thomas books. He in turn borrowed the idea from a Commander T. Barker who I think showed his in the M.E. Magazine sometime in the 1930's. There's very few drawings around of it, but the blocks basic dimensions are it's 3" x 3" x 3/4"-1" thick. The rest can be estimated and figured out from those dimensions. Chris modified GHT's design and added a bit more form to the finger on the one he built and I think it might work even better than the original. From what I can gather there normally referred to as a tool makers finger plate. I've seen much the same in the back round of a few jewelers and watch making videos. It's not well explained in Chris's videos you linked to, but G.H. Thomas as well as Barker used that 45 degree slot with a bushing holder and bushings for drilling exactly through the center of shafting. And I'd agree, it's a very handy tool that would have a lot of use on a die filer. For use like that I think I'd want a grid of tapped holes for moving the finger around or adding other clamps.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Thanks for the info. It will definitely be added to the "to be built" list.

I think I actually like the design pictured over the one built on clickspring. It looks like it would be more flexible. I may add a v-groove to accommodate round parts though.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I'm officially done-done with the die filer. The last thing I had to do was round over the ends of the table supports and to add an oil plug.

So far I have one file modified per the included instructions.

MLA die filer done!
MLA die filer done!
File ground down to add shank
File ground down to add shank
New shank glued on using JB Weld
New shank glued on using JB Weld
Finished file
Finished file
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A delightful project!
RussN
Last edited by NP317 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

I'd very much agree with Russ. And please let us know what you think of it's ability's after you've done a few parts on it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nice work.

It's downright cute, too.

If you need round files, chainsaw sharpening files will work as they have parallel sides (not tapered).

Steve
partime

Post by partime »

Very nicely done!