MLA Filing Machine

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jeanluc83

Re: MLA Filing Machine

Post by jeanluc83 »

I made some progress on the yoke. It took a few different setups between my mill and lathe to get it squared up but I finally got something that was acceptable. I still need to drill and tap for the clamping screw and make the saw cut. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Yoke almost done
Yoke almost done
Cutting the slot in my Atlas mill
Cutting the slot in my Atlas mill
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I have all of the moving parts for the most part done.

I have had my first real snag in the build. The plans have the crank disk pinned to the shaft with a 1/16” roll pin. I was a bit nervous about drilling a +1” deep 1/16” hole but that part went surprisingly well.

The problem came when I went to install the pin and got it about half way before it got stuck and started to bend over. Once that happened there was no real hope of getting it farther in or out. I ended up just cutting it flush and filing it smooth. Other than my pride there was no real damage.

I’m now considering drilling through from the other side and installing a slightly larger pin.

Everything that is done so far
Everything that is done so far
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Use a spiral pin, not a roll pin.
They are stronger and less likely to bend.
RussN
pete

Post by pete »

I usually don't comment unless I can offer something constructive, but that doesn't mean this isn't a very interesting thread to me. This forum could sure use a like button though.

Until I bought a proper set of gunsmithing roll pin punches I didn't know what I was missing. Using any other punch type always damages the pin end. They have a smaller radiused end that fits and locates the punch tip into the hollow end of the roll pins. That keeps roll pin from collapsing and the punch centered, I can't recall ever bending any roll pin with them. I've managed to drive out bent and butchered roll pins with my set where a standard pin punch was used after cutting off the bent section and grinding the end flat. My neighbor insists on wreaking everything in sight until the jobs 10 X harder than it should be if he'd just stop before it got to that point. It's surprising just how much difference that tip type makes. This is the small set I bought https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 26482.aspx but you can also spend a lot more than what I did or machine and heat treat your own set.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Thanks for the tips. I’ve found your suggestion to get a set of punches echoed elsewhere. I’ll probably make a punch for my one install but I’ll keep it in mind for the future.

I finished the cap that protects the top file rod bearing. A couple of felt washers are captured below the cap to keep the filings out. The plan calls for brass but I went with steel. I didn’t have a piece of brass big enough and couldn’t justify the cost of buying new. The instructions note that there should be clearance between the cap and the rod so there is no real advantage to using brass.

I also got back to work on the body casting. I milled the bosses for the table supports to the proper width.

I’m really pleased with how this is starting to come together. The last big things I have left are the bearings and the table.

Cap top
Cap top
Cap bottom
Cap bottom
Milling the table supports bosses
Milling the table supports bosses
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I'm getting closer to completion. I finished the file rod bearings today and got the upper bearing installed with Loctite. Once I get the rest of the work done on the body I'll install the lower bearing. I don't want to trap any chips under the lower bearing..

That just leaves the shaft bearing, table, supports and a little more work on the body.

File bearings and bottom cap
File bearings and bottom cap
The box-o-parts. Only a couple more parts that need to be finished
The box-o-parts. Only a couple more parts that need to be finished
RSG

Post by RSG »

Post a video of it working when it's done!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

To quote Star Wars "almost there..."

Open the picture to see it move.

Animated gif of the filing machine turned over by hand
Animated gif of the filing machine turned over by hand
I still have a couple of little things that need to be done and, of course, the table.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Done! Well done for now. There are a couple of things that need to be done but it's done enough to use at least.

Table complete
Table complete
Die filer done!
Die filer done!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pete

Post by pete »

Yes very nice indeed. I've never used one, but have read enough about filing equipment that I've also read quite a few comments about being careful when using them. The bigger commercial models almost all had an easily positioned hold down that was set just barely above the work. That prevents the file from lifting the work piece, and if the tips of your fingers guiding the work get even slightly below the sides and under the work. Instant and painful blood blisters are the result when the file slams the work back down on the table. But you might already know that Jean.

Good machine files are now getting real hard to find and usually expensive when you do. It's easy to forget there in reality heat treated high carbon steel with the same restrictions for cutting speeds as they have when that material was in more standard use before HSS was invented . HSS has a maximum of about 100 fpm in mild steel. High Carbon is generally around half or a bit less than that. It's not uncommon to see some on Youtube running carbide tooling on there lathe and then using a file to deburr the edges or add a chamfer without reducing the speed. That's where you get permanent grooves in the file as the teeth are softened and then flattened. At one time I've done the same to some of my files until I figured out what was causing it. :-(
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Thanks! It will probably take a while before I get used to the machine but I’m sure it will bite me a few times before I get it figured out.  I think the key will be a light touch which should also make the files last longer.

Good call on the speed.  If I did the math right, it looks like I’m at around 25-30 fpm with the current setup.  A few of the builds I’ve found use variable speed motors for the drive which I may add in the future.  The motor I have is an ancient one that my grandfather picked up at some point along the way. As far as I can tell it was built in the 20s or 30s.  It works fine but it is heavy so I’m looking to replace it at some point anyway.