Interesting vise

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Interesting vise

Post by Mr Ron »

I regard the fractal vise as a curiosity; very clever machine, but not very practical for everyday use. Although it can hold irregular shaped items, there are other means of accomplishing the same thing; it might take a bit longer to do, but at less cost. There are just too many high precision parts involved to make this a practical tool. A good design would take into account the steps needed to produce an item. One has to be able to setup a part for machining that allows planes to be established that can be referenced from. The first operation would require holes to be accurately placed. Any irregular shape would then be manually created as they would not be a precision value and it's operation would not depend on the irregular shape. I hope my description makes sense.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I see it as a solution in search of a problem
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 pm I see it as a solution in search of a problem
Disagree.
We all, at least most of us, cl;amp odd shaped pieces into a vise, or onto the table, to assault them with some tool in the mill. That's fact.
If a vise like that, cost $9.95....we would all have one. :)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
pete

Post by pete »

I have to agree with Warmstrong's points. But I still maintain it's more of a production shop piece of tooling. Handy or extremely so to have in some instances even in a home shop. But still dependent on the type and size of parts your milling. Since lot's do so here, scale locomotive building with it's wide range of casting shapes these vises or jaw sets would get far more use than for someone doing let's say fabrication work as an example. There's a few company's around like Carr Lane who pretty much built there business on specialized work holding and locating methods. The basics of milling are that if you can hold and orientate the part in it's correct position and rigidly enough to where it can't move you can machine it. I'd like to have even the set of these jaws for one of my mill vises, but I wouldn't be all that willing to spend a huge amount since there's almost always other methods that of course would take more time to utilize. And when he finds his $9.95 set I just hope he remembers to post a link. :-)