Thin Parts In The Milling Vise

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

shootnride

Thin Parts In The Milling Vise

Post by shootnride »

It seems that I have many occasions that I need to mill thin stock that is fairly wide, sometimes approaching the capacity of my D675 vise. These are usually parts that need to be cut out of the thin material. I usually end up clamping the stock to the mill table on a piece of sacrificial material which works fine but takes a lot more set-up time than if I were able to just clamp it in the vise. The problem is that when clamping thin material in the vise, it almost always bows up in the middle and of course this causes lots of chatter and poor quality cuts. I've been thinking of making an apparatus that would attach to the tops of the vise jaws with adjustable clamping pads to press down on the material to eliminate the bowing. This would have to be adjustable to accommodate various material widths. I have come up with a couple of ideas but nothing I'm really happy with. Just wondering if any of you have done something like this with your mill vise that has worked well.
Thanks

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
earlgo

Re: Thin Parts In The Milling Vise

Post by earlgo »

Have you considered glueing the thin material to a thicker material and clamping that in the vise? I never tried it but apparently super glue is released by heat.
Perhaps a base plate of aluminum studded with strong magnets would hold a ferrous material down sufficiently. sort of like a magnetic chuck.
Just a few thoughts.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

If your parts are on the smallish side, a fixture like my miniature milling table...

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/min ... able-27312

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/min ... #post66459

might work for you.

It provides the convenience of supporting and clamping stock as you would on the mill table without the aggravation of removing and reinstalling the mill vise.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

shootnride wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:35 am Just wondering if any of you have done something like this with your mill vise that has worked well.
Yep! I have, and I wonder how anyone gets along without the feature.

I specialized in small work when I was machining for gain. I learned that setting stops was a real advantage when handling parts, so I drilled and tapped a series of ¼"-20 holes immediately behind the hardened fixed jaw. It serves to facilitate permanent stops as well as to be used for applying pressure on the tops of thin parts like you described. Assuming you like the idea, make sure that you miss the bolts that hold the jaws in place when you drill and tap the ¼" threaded holes.

H

Vise stop 2.JPG
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Marv did a great job !- with his fixture plate ( my term )
His T slot handles a large variety of parts.
I also made one years ago for general milling and holding thin materials.
I was given a large quantity of plexiglass sheets (.090") that I use under the pieces so as to preserve the plate
I have 1/2" slots for "90 degree" keys (if needed) and threaded holes are bigger that allow me use of my normal mill clamps ( 3/8 and 1/2")
I added a large T shaped key that clamps the plate vertically to the Jaw Ways as I didn't trust the vice clamping on my clamp block totally for a heavy cut and to prevent lifting.
They are super handy !
Material was 1" Al Cast Tooling Plate ( MIC-6)
Rich
P2080021.JPG
P2080022.JPG
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm
shootnride wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:35 am Just wondering if any of you have done something like this with your mill vise that has worked well.

I specialized in small work when I was machining for gain. I learned that setting stops was a real advantage when handling parts, so I drilled and tapped a series of ¼"-20 holes immediately behind the hardened fixed jaw. It serves to facilitate permanent stops as well as to be used for applying pressure on the tops of thin parts like you described. Assuming you like the idea, make sure that you miss the bolts that hold the jaws in place when you drill and tap the ¼" threaded holes.

H

Vise stop 2.JPG
Did you put grub screws in the holes to keep chips out when not using them for stops? I can't help but think that would be a major PITA without something to keep them clean.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

earlgo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:56 am Have you considered glueing the thin material to a thicker material and clamping that in the vise? I never tried it but apparently super glue is released by heat.
Perhaps a base plate of aluminum studded with strong magnets would hold a ferrous material down sufficiently. sort of like a magnetic chuck.
Just a few thoughts.
--earlgo
I used this on the mill and the lathe. First time, I glued straight to the work and the "glue chuck", thinking I'd just pop the parts in the oven and soften the glue. The second time, I used painter's tape to glue to because apparently, 500F wasn't enough to soften the glue enough for the parts to come apart without use of the hydraulic press and then when they did come loose, they did so with a bang! If you are machining heavily enough that you think heat is a problem, it probably isn't. But if it is, then this isn't for you. I think you'd have to be pretty aggressive for that to be a concern, though. YMMV

Dave
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

whateg0 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:15 pm Did you put grub screws in the holes to keep chips out when not using them for stops? I can't help but think that would be a major PITA without something to keep them clean.
No. I've never had any problems keeping the tapped holes clean enough for use, but I also use air on my machines. If a guy doesn't use air, some means of plugging the holes would certainly be to advantage.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I clamp thin stuff to a backing board with parallel jaw tool makers claps -> then clamp the lot in the vise.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Did you put grub screws in the holes to keep chips out when not using them for stops? I can't help but think that would be a major PITA without something to keep them clean.
If you look at my plate you will see set screws in the 3/8" tapped holes because I may only use them once a year
My 1/2-13 holes are not plugged .. I found it to be a hindrance at times , so I stopped doing it.
I have a vacuum system and that keeps the holes quite clear .. Except..
When I use coolant , I find the blind holes-only- ( I have through holes too) will plug and pack the chips in
and that requires a thin scribe to break them up and I drop in some saw dust --mix and then vacuum and done

Rich
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Gentlemen,
Thanks for all of the feedback. Some really good ideas presented. I have considered in the past making a small fixture plate that would clamp in the vise similar to Marv's (although his is more elegant than what I had in mind), and I have a really nice 1.25 x 16" diameter piece of that MIC-6 Tooling Plate like Rich used for his fixture plate sitting on my work bench that I bought several years ago with intentions of making a fixture plate for my rotary table but still haven't gotten to. I've also done as Bill suggested using the parallel clamps on a sacrificial backing, but that still requires a little more fiddling to get things squared up. I think I'm going to do something similar to what Harold has done with his vise. I think I may tap holes on both jaws so I can clamp wider pieces from both sides. Of course, I now have another project to do before I can proceed with the project I was working on. More of that "making stuff for my stuff". :D
Thanks again for all of the input.
Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm

H

Vise stop 2.JPG
Simple but very clever. Good one!