I need a milling cutter ...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

Re: I need a milling cutter ...

Post by jcfx »

Weird, I swear I posted a reply ....

Terry - That's the cutter that I'm looking for, double angle, certainly ups the hits when you know the right term to search with.
Maritools has them at a somewhat better price than MSC.
https://www.maritool.com/Cutting-Tools- ... index.html

GlennW / Bill - I'm somewhat hesitant to use an endmill, holding the work at the appropriate angle would be my concern.
The OEM tool holder is hardened, but my copies are A2 tool steel which I'll attempt to harden wire, tape and rubber band style. :)

rmac - Those are nice cradles, not sure how that would work for my holders since they're on the smallish side, I do intend to make blanks
with just the dovetail and no tool slot so I can make whatever tool slot or hole when the need arises.

jscarmozza - Thanks for the loaner offer of your cutter, but with just a .50" tool slot the cutter is too big, and the smaller chamfer cutter is
too much of an angle.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Hence my suggestion to use a woodruff cutter...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

jcfx wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:37 pm but my copies are A2 tool steel which I'll attempt to harden wire,
4140 pre hardened bar makes things simple.

Harder is not better for tool holders, it's just slipperier!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

jcfx wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:37 pm I'm somewhat hesitant to use an endmill, holding the work at the appropriate angle would be my concern.
DSC03441.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

GlennW wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:37 pm
4140 pre hardened bar makes things simple.

Harder is not better for tool holders, it's just slipperier!
I also want to make some tool holders; is there significant advantage to using an alloy or harder-than-mild steel?
Mild steel is easy for me to get and 1/5 the price too.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

That should be fine.

The ones you buy are tempered, and the OP referred to heat treating them and pre-hardened steel makes things simpler if you feel the need for it.
Glenn

whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

jcfx wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:37 pm Weird, I swear I posted a reply ....

Terry - That's the cutter that I'm looking for, double angle, certainly ups the hits when you know the right term to search with.
Maritools has them at a somewhat better price than MSC.
https://www.maritool.com/Cutting-Tools- ... index.html

GlennW / Bill - I'm somewhat hesitant to use an endmill, holding the work at the appropriate angle would be my concern.
The OEM tool holder is hardened, but my copies are A2 tool steel which I'll attempt to harden wire, tape and rubber band style. :)

rmac - Those are nice cradles, not sure how that would work for my holders since they're on the smallish side, I do intend to make blanks
with just the dovetail and no tool slot so I can make whatever tool slot or hole when the need arises.

jscarmozza - Thanks for the loaner offer of your cutter, but with just a .50" tool slot the cutter is too big, and the smaller chamfer cutter is
too much of an angle.
The angle really doesn't matter as long as the tool is able to contact 3 points in the holder. These are seldom deep enough to actually rest the tool on the flat sides of the groove. As long as it's parallel to the tool holder and the corners are somewhat centered on the set screws, it'll work fine. To hold it in the mill, just set a couple parallels on the bottom of the vise so the top is level front to back, then use a protractor (or if you're feeling fancy, a sine bar) to get it about 45 degrees, check that you can get the groove positioned right and adjust if you can't. Again, there's nothing precise required for the groove to do its job. Even a woodruff keyseat cutter would work fine as it still produces two corners that give 3 points of contact. Downside is the tool you could hold then would be limited by the width of the groove.

Dave

edit: forgot to add that what usually gets stuff to turn up in my searches is buying something that's not quite right and then the "you might be interested in this" ads come up and have exactly what I originally wanted.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

GlennW - That's pretty much what I figured on doing but with lower parallels, I defintely need a bigger vise or two,
on my list once some jobs roll in.

whatego - Understood about the groove, they're pretty shallow on my OEM tool holder that I'm copying.