Hidden Tool Holding Costs

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: Hidden Tool Holding Costs

Post by RSG »

I gotcha! In that case yes there's much more opportunity in my local....and even more of you venture in the US around Ohio!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

Those of us that are running mini-lathes/mills, 3-in-1 machines, or other low-cost home equipment, the difference between cheap off-shore tooling and high quality tooling is pretty much a non-issue.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I heard it said, to buy the cheap tool if you need it. If you use it more than three times in a year, buy the good one.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:10 am B+D are just the cheapest.
Even that isn't necessarily true, although there is no doubt that B&D has shot themselves in the foot to accommodate the market for junk tools. Fact is, they have multiple levels of quality and price (or at least they used to), with the top end rivaling the quality of other good name brands.
I'm still using an 8" Electrosaw, the name applied to the circular hand saw that my father purchased in the late 40's. He was a carpenter. It's bullet proof. Made by what is now B&D.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

ALL:
I took the liberty of editing and deleting some posts that seemed to take away from the topic of "Hidden Tool Holding Costs".

Its a good topic. One of which there are many schools of thought and opinions. I would wager most of us only buy new when we have to, and when we find some good old used name brand tooling our "coffee can budgets" can afford, we jump at the opportunity. Similarly, when we've learned the limitations of our machines, or want to have the experience of owning a nicer more rigid machine, we try and move up when we can

It is (or should be) understood that if you have a lighter duty machine, you understand what it can and can't do with the tooling you purchase.
A mid duty range machine might provide a little more efficiency and may warrant better quality tooling.

A heavy duty range more robust and rigid machine usually requires much larger tooling, and well, more expensive. In *general* out of the reach of a Home Shop fellow, as while those old heavy machines might be affordable to purchase, they take up big space, unusual power requirements, and tooling that is more expensive. A few of us are rather the exception (you know who you are :-)

In the end, we learn what our machines are capable of with the tooling we purchase (sometimes the hard way) but its great to come here and ask what am I doing wrong, what might help me do better? Get explanations from those who were trained or are actively in the trade, or those that "have been there done that" to help those of us "Home Shop Machinists". We'll never learn it all, but I, like most, am very appreciative of getting that nugget of info that makes my hobby more enjoyable.

This site is Dedicated to the Home Shop Machinists, fabricators, metal hacks, chip makers with an interest to learn but willing to keep and open mind and respect each others opinions.

Marty
(Admin)
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thank you Marty for the inspirational message. We don't hear enough from you.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
RSG

Post by RSG »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:52 pm Thank you Marty for the inspirational message. We don't hear enough from you.
Agreed!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
pete

Post by pete »

For any that don't know, Marty also has a YT channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTNt9I ... wnjzer6GVQ
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

pete wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:43 am For any that don't know, Marty also has a YT channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTNt9I ... wnjzer6GVQ
I've been exposed 😁
pete

Post by pete »

Lol, yes you have Marty. An extensive and impressive set of skills to do what you do from the little I know about it.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

pete wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:06 am Lol, yes you have Marty. An extensive and impressive set of skills to do what you do from the little I know about it.
:D
Now if you want to talk about tooling up a CNC machine, now there are some hidden tooling costs!
pete

Post by pete »

Lol yeah for sure, just tooling up a manual BP clone is expensive enough. Add an ATC and the tool holders, ER chucks, multiple drill chucks, 4th axis, multiple vises, tooling plates, tombstones etc and it really goes up. A mill is the land version of owning a boat.