Baby Drill Press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Baby Drill Press

Post by John Evans »

This thing is TINY! Saw it on c-list price dropped to $30 so why not. 3 speed ranges variable ,top 8500 rpm. Really need lots of rpm for drills under a 1/16 or so. Nothing in the pics in the add to give scale, that is a 16oz Coke in the one pic. The other pic. is with my Hamilton sensitive DP and I though that was small. Was not expecting to much from a cheap Chinese machine, was pleasantly surprised . Chuck is rated .6MM to 6.4 MM , chuck holds a .020 bit just fine to put a 1/2 " deep hole in 1018. Only has 1" quill travel and the chuck is a metric type taper, works well enough I would put a good Jacobs etc. chuck on it that goes down to 0 if it had a 0 Jacobs spindle on it.

The quill return spring is rather strong so I put a longer handle on it more like the Hamilton has, has a much better feel now. Wish I had something like this back in the later 50s when I was building HO model RR stuff. Drilled a boat load of little holes for steps -ladders etc when building cars-engines etc. Did all of those with a #$#* pin vise !! :x The Hamilton even with the larger motor pulley still only turns about 4500 rpm. Haven't had any luck finding a 3450 1/4 to 1/2 HP motor [cheap] for it.
Attachments
d-p 001.JPG
d-p 002.JPG
www.chaski.com
RSG

Re: Baby Drill Press

Post by RSG »

Nice score!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

Back in the late ‘70s / early ‘80s I spent literally thousands of hours in front of a little SERVO brand tiny drill press just like this.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09508011

I think the smallest holes I drilled were .005 in dies making electronic preforms.

I certainly don’t need one of those in my home shop, but couldn’t resist buying one of these when I saw the ad.

https://www.sciplus.com/mini-compact-be ... ss-47894-p.

I’m very happy with it .

Your price is even better !!
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sounds like me. I do mostly automotive scale (desert trucks) along with odds-n-ends that life throws at me, so don't do much (any so far) small enough to justify. But I ran across a tiny Dumore 17k rpm sensitive drill press for practically pocket change, so now it gathers dust in my shop (along with silly tiny drills and taps) for that "some day" project.

I have a wonderful Pratt Whitney sensitive drill (apparently working from a VERY different dictionary for "sensitive") that is quite suitable for my real worlds small hole (up to max 1/4") needs. I wouldn't want to part with that one, not that I'm too prone to parting with any tool... :oops: :roll:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I picked up a cameron for $50 at an estate sales.
Speeds of 7,500, 15,000 and 30,000. Albrect chuck that can hold a hair.

Recently, while answering an ad for the slide rest for my Pratt & Whitney 3 bench lathe, the guy threw in a dumore for a total of $175. Dumore was stuck, but made a hum, so I figured it was just frozen. Pulled it apart, flushed out the bearings, oiled them and it runs like a charm.

Not as high speed as the cameron, but a little more robust.

Steve
MarkWarrec019

Post by MarkWarrec019 »

John Evans wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:05 pm This thing is TINY! Saw it on c-list price dropped to $30 so why not. 3 speed ranges variable ,top 8500 rpm. Really need lots of rpm for drills under a 1/16 or so. Nothing in the pics in the add to give scale, that is a 16oz Coke in the one pic. The other pic. is with my Hamilton sensitive DP and I though that was small. Was not expecting to much from a cheap Chinese machine, was pleasantly surprised . Chuck is rated .6MM to 6.4 MM , chuck holds a .020 bit just fine to put a 1/2 " deep hole in 1018. Only has 1" quill travel and the chuck is a metric type taper, works well enough I would put a good Jacobs etc. chuck on it that goes down to 0 if it had a 0 Jacobs spindle on it.

The quill return spring is rather strong so I put a longer handle on it more like the Hamilton has, has a much better feel now. Wish I had something like this back in the later 50s when I was building HO model RR stuff. Drilled a boat load of little holes for steps -ladders etc when building cars-engines etc. Did all of those with a #$#* pin vise !! :x The Hamilton even with the larger motor pulley still only turns about 4500 rpm. Haven't had any luck finding a 3450 1/4 to 1/2 HP motor [cheap] for it.
It's greats,

I'm using hand drill and it's giving me a 1350rpm