Surface Grinder?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Surface Grinder?

Post by Harold_V »

rmac wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:18 am
Mr Ron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:01 am A surface grinder can't handle anything that large.
Not so. As Bill said, you just need a big surface grinder.
Correct! Just because the bulk of surface grinders fall in the small category (6" x 12" or 6" x 18") doesn't mean they're not made larger. In fact, one of our readers, gcarsen, happens to own a 10' surface grinder. I'm not sure of the cross slide capability (Y axis), but it's likely to be 36".
The second video I referenced above shows a big SG finishing a table saw top. The first video shows a Blanchard grinder flattening the same top before they used the surface grinder to remove the circular marks left behind by the Blanchard.

I'm kind of assuming that this was a two-step process because it would have taken forever to do the initial flattening on the surface grinder. Can somebody confirm that guess?
Because Blanchard grinders are typically powered with huge motors, they are capable of performing much like a milling machine. They can move a frightening amount of metal, and are equipped with large wheels, with segmented inserts. The resulting surface may be somewhat coarse, although, given adequate spark-out time, assuming the machine has been properly set up, the resulting surface can be as flat as one generated by a linear surface grinder, and with a very nice finish, so a followup linear surface grind isn't necessary unless a straight line finish is desired.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

The surface of a wood cutting machine just doesn't need that level of accuracy.

I plan to plane my warped cast iron tablesaw / shaper top on my milling machine, even though I'll likely need to move the work along the milling machine table to get it done.
When I get the milling machine to work that is...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle. .what does NEED have to do with it?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

If you do get the top reground or planed, the table top is very thin, person has to be very careful how you support the top. It will require shimming underneath the table top to keep it from dipping down when going across it with a tool that is removing metal. Rather you grind it or plane it, the problem will exists. Just a little "heads up". Ken
Ken
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

GlennW wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:57 am Southern Grinding Services in Pompano Beach, FL does both.
From Panama City that would be about an 8 hour drive. Atlanta is almost half that.
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

whateg0 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:28 pm Grinding? If you want it really flat, I want to see it scraped!!

Are you grinding for appearance or for use? I've used epoxy to fill divots in drill press tables and vises and it works fine. Are you talking about a depression or pitting from rust?
Appearance. Mostly pitting from rust.
rmac

Post by rmac »

You might call these guys just to see what they have to say:

https://csmachineco.com/capabilities

They're closer to you than Atlanta, and they have super Google reviews.

-- Russell Mac
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

Someone with a CNC mill locally can mill your table top flat leaving a very nice finish on it. It won't be ground, but they can make it look pretty with the right facemill.
Ken
pete

Post by pete »

Unless you already had free access to a large mill, surface or Blanchard grinder I very much suspect the costs are going to far outweigh the aesthetic benefits of having it done. Plus there's every chance of making it less flat than it already is if there's any stresses left in it. It's already been mentioned the tables on these aren't very thick. So it wouldn't take much to warp the top. Finding another table without the rust pits would probably be the cheaper option.