AC 115v single phase 4 lead motor question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

henryr

AC 115v single phase 4 lead motor question

Post by henryr »

I just got a NOS Shaded pole split phase motor and I believe it is a three speed motor. The leads are black, blue, red and white and I think wiring scheme is neutral line goes to white lead and hot line is connected to any one of the other three leads for low, medium or high speed. My question is are the unused leads supposed to be connected to each other or not. The diagram below listed unused leads as open and I don't know what that means. And the photo shows unused leads connected. What is correct for my motor? First 2 pics are my Universal Electric co. motor

Thanks,
henryr
Attachments
DSC00600universal motor.JPG
DSC00601universal motor2.JPG
split phase wiring.jpg
split phase wiring.jpg (11.27 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
motor and leads.jpg
motor and leads.jpg (5.31 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
John Hasler

Re: AC 115v single phase 4 lead motor question

Post by John Hasler »

Open.
Victor_R

Post by Victor_R »

Well Henry, I agree with the first part of your thinking assuming that diagram is for your motor. But you do not connect the unused leads to anything including each other. Open means just that...no connection. Of course you could connect them to a suitable three position switch in order to easily change speeds. I do see what looks like a brownish wire of some type in the pictures. So what is that? Is it for an unseen capacitor? And the bottom picture is odd as it shows yellow to yellow and red to red. But it's not the same motor in your photos.
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
henryr

Post by henryr »

Thanks Victor_R. The wire that looks brown, on my motor, is the bare copper ground wire connected to the frame. The motor with unused leads joined was just something I ran across, which led me to ask if unused leads on my motor, should be connected or not. I checked the ohm value of the 3 leads and white>black=36, white>blue=49 and white>red=60.