Setting up a basement workshop (ideas wanted)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Setting up a basement workshop (ideas wanted)

Post by earlgo »

My flexible lamp may have cost more but it works for me. Coolant Loc-line, extension cord, lamp receptacle, LED lamp, floor flange, angle iron and a tuna can.
LocLine lamp.JPG
There is a similar one on my Delta T&C grinder.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

NP317 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 am I just ordered one from Amazon.
There are several available in the same configuration, but I chose one with the flexible gooseneck covered with silicon tubing, like yours.
That and the black colored parts should work better in my shop environment.
Costs a bit more, but still a good deal. < $20 (US).

Thanks for your good idea, Glenn.
RussN
Thanks Russ, yes, I like them a lot. Thinking about picking up a couple more and mounting them at my work benchs to do detailed work - close up welding etc.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Kay_B

Post by Kay_B »

NP317 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 am I just ordered one from Amazon.
There are several available in the same configuration, but I chose one with the flexible gooseneck covered with silicon tubing, like yours.
That and the black colored parts should work better in my shop environment.
Costs a bit more, but still a good deal. < $20 (US).

Thanks for your good idea, Glenn.
RussN
Will you show a photo later of what quality the instruments will come? How reliable and durable the device really is. I myself decided to equip the work area, but I will do it in the garage. So far, I'm deciding what tools I need and what budget can be allocated for this.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The LED light I received is Chinese made, with a rocker switch and light gauge power cord, on magnetic base.
Quality should be fine, with the ability to withstand my intended use.
Here is the link to Amazon for that light:

https://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machine-F ... 15&sr=8-10

RussN
Kay_B

Post by Kay_B »

I am considering buying a small lathe for home use. This thought came after reading this article. Of course, I'm not sure if the article is perfect, but the idea is not bad! After all, you can do so much work on a lathe! And it's better than scratching by hand with a file or sandpaper. And then also look for a workshop where the necessary work will be done.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Kay_B wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 am I am considering buying a small lathe for home use. This thought came after reading this article. Of course, I'm not sure if the article is perfect, but the idea is not bad! After all, you can do so much work on a lathe! And it's better than scratching by hand with a file or sandpaper. And then also look for a workshop where the necessary work will be done.
I am having a little trouble wrapping my head around the chuck being on the right side in the article picture.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

curtis cutter wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:10 am I am having a little trouble wrapping my head around the chuck being on the right side in the article picture.
You are not alone.
The only thing that makes sense is that the photo originated from a negative, which was reversed.
Or, perhaps, it was mirrored (electronically) inadvertently.

In any case, to see the headstock where the tailstock belongs defies everything I know about lathes.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

As far as we seem to know, every lathe ever made has the chuck on the left.
Which raises the question; why?
pete

Post by pete »

Some of it might be tradition, but probably always on the left for the head stock because about 90% of the population are right hand dominant. It just works out better for more right handed people. I'm left handed when doing anything that requires some precision, but I'd find a reversed lathe pretty weird to operate.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The picture of a small Grizzly (?) half way down the article shows the model number backwards. So looks like most all the photos are reversed - flipped over right to left - possibly by whoever laid out the art work. Very odd indeed!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rmac

Post by rmac »

With Photoshop, all things are possible.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I used to discus various ship painting systems with the owner of the ship next to mine. I went cheaper, he went for expensive epoxies...
So one morning I told him I'd discovered the greatest system ever, really cheap, and fast too.
"Yes, what is it?" he asked excitedly.
"Photoshop." I told him.