Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:54 pm When I was a kid, I knew a guy who had an old Arab spitoon, that he used as the maker intended.
So I was actually a bit nauseated by the idea of... argg, can't even write that down!
Yep! Does tend to create a gag reflex.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

My cousin always used a soda can for his in house spitoon, well along comes my brother, picks up the coke can a takes a swig.....he staggered out into the yard swearing like a sailor.

Chris Smith
NP317

Post by NP317 »

So... Back to air compressors.

Today I got my new PUMA PK-6560 all plumbed and wired in.
Performed the specified 20 minute zero-pressure-run in, and then took everything up to pressure and tested the pressure switch and output regulator.
All works as expected, with no leaks in my work. And this compressor produces about the same noise level as my old 2 HP compressor,
while producing 2.5 times the CFM output!

I am quite satisfied and delighted to get this Shop Improvement installed and running.
RussN
IMG_3871.JPG
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Yay, Russ. I'm thinking that's what I should have done. Sometimes trying to save money is false economy.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

In my case, I was lucky to find a decent, used, high capacity compressor; low hours, older model, lists on “Offer UP”from a private seller. 5 hp, 80gal tank, 20cfm. They accepted my low ball offer and Wall-lah, into the shop it went.

Well, after five lifts with the trusty, multi-talented engine hoist...
4DBCFC19-B458-429B-BE0F-94A425F93A7B.jpeg
Doesnt look like it here, but the compressor is taller than I. Close to 7’ off the deck.
24C39D71-CEDA-4C5D-974F-29260E7EBA9B.jpeg
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Good work, Glenn. Deals like that just don't come up around here.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Congratulations! That appears to be the same compressor I have. If it hasn't been abused, I predict you will love it. I know I do.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hey Russ, any chance you have a schematic showing the wiring diagram, and what kind of off on switch device is appropriate for this compressor? My unit doesn’t have a manual, and I haven’t been able to find one on line...

Also I’d like to add an on off switch at the compressor itself. Wondering what your unit uses?

My model number is: 5E2VT8-A2. Apparently it is a Curtis, CS series, 5 hp, 80 gal tank upright .

Thanks much,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You'd be best served buying a motor starter with heaters, so you can protect the motor. Check ebay for one that suits your application. Heaters can usually be changed to those that suit your needs. The motor starter can be mounted at the compressor, so that would address that problem nicely.

An on-off switch for such a large motor isn't likely going to be affordable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

When a compressor shuts off, the pressure on the head needs to be released or it may not be able to start again.
If you add a separate or remote switch, you have to bear that in mind.
I'm sure you know this but I thought it should be added to this thread as a matter of record...
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
I will take a photo later today on the pressure switch and post it here.
The switch is mounter directly on the top outlet on the tank, which is solely for the switch, and is where the incoming electric connections are made.
The switch is a sort of cheesy plastic design, utilizing a metal pneumatic plunger pin that opens and closes the electrical contacts, and -as mentioned- also depressurizes the pump head for an easier restart. They are definitely available as replacement parts, as I've read of people needing to replace them!
So... Theoretically you could install one, assuming your tank has such a pressure outlet.

These switches also have a local on/off switch which is nothing more than a 90 degree throw lever that pushes the switch plunger up to "simulate' the tank reaching pressure.
And the Factory adjusted this plunger for the correct pressure activation.
Hope this helps some.
RussN
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Sorry, but mine came complete (possibly from Curtis?) with starter and all setup, and I got no manuals. All I did was add appropriate 220V power.

You can call Curtis and talk to them, they still exist. They should be able to provide relevant reference material, though they might just refer you to a local reseller.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper