Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hi folks:
In my thread about a compressor timer switch, here: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 41#p435741
I reported that the compressor in question has come to the end of its life. So I'm interested in your thoughts as to what brand to replace it with. I am not interested in Horrible Fright or other super-cheap stuff. Someone here once had a sig line that read: "I can't afford to buy cheap tools." Having said that, I don't need a Rolls Royce. I don't want a Yugo or a Trabant either. A nice Ford or Chevy will do.

The unit I'm replacing is a common size: 60-gal vertical tank, allegedly 5-hp motor (But after doing the math for a 16-amp draw it can't be more than 4 h.p.), 230± volt. I'm not sure of the CFM rating as the data plate is gone, but it was single stage and shut off at about 125 psi. It was all I needed as to air supply.

So the question for you is: What's a good brand and what brand should I avoid? THANKS!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steggy

Re: Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Post by Steggy »

Well, there is no such a thing as a good, cheap air compressor, but you can control the type and quality of the parts used if you build it rather than buy an assembled unit.

I built mine from parts that came from several sources: Grainger for the pump, U-code 80 gallon horizontal tank, check, safety and drain valves, pressure switch, motor starter and motor mount. Motor sheave and V-belts came from Motion Industries. The motor (5 HP, 3Ø) was an eBay special, but American-made. I don't recall anymore how much I invested, but the compressor has been running for 31 years and is still healthy. I had the tank ultrasonically tested a few years ago and it was fine.

I can state with some experience that Asian-made compressor pumps will not last. The component parts seem to have inferior metallurgy and wear out relatively quickly. Your best choice as a compromise between cost and durability is an American-made pump that has a cast iron crankcase, aluminum cylinder assemble with iron sleeves and an aluminum head. While all-iron pumps will last just about forever their cost is outrageous and for hobby use, they are gross overkill. A two-stage pump should be used if continuous pressure requirements exceed 100 PSI. A single-stage pump is generally suitable for intermittent use at 125 PSI.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, BDD. As this one served me for years just fine with a single-stage pump, I see no reason to upgrade. And as I wrote, I'm not looking for cheap but don't want to spend two or three grand on one. My limit is perhaps $1500. I'm going to call a couple of commercial compressor outfits in the morning and see what they say, and I'll check out your suggestion to put one together on my own. The motor is fine and while I don't remember the brand, it's a well-known American-made one. All I'd need to resolve this is a new tank and compressor. All the ancillaries are fine.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, folks, there have been a few comments on replacements over on the other thread about the compressor timer but since the topic has changed, let's continue here. Bill pointed out some American made units but the best looking one, the Saylor Beall, is out of the budget at over $3K. I'll check the Quincy ones.

I had a chat this morning with a guy at a local company that just sells and services compressors. He said that their business is rotary screw compressors and that they rarely sell what in their world are small ones. He said, however, that the best deal right now is the Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply. He said T.S. is selling it for less than he could get it for. He also said that he toured the factory and that the foundry work is done overseas but all the machine work is done here. Another professional source also likes the Ingersall-Rand. So I'm going to take a close look at the I-R units.

If anyone has any thoughts to add, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:19 pm...that the best deal right now is the Ingersoll Rand
I can't vouch for Ingersoll-Rand's compressors, but I do have some I-R pneumatic tools, all of which are quality products that have served me well.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have an IR T-30 that was new in 1981. It wore out a Kohler engine, and I replaced that it a 5HP 220V motor in about 2001.
The air end, has never been touched, other than oil changes.
Ingersoll Rand Type 30's are bullet proof, and are as good as compressors get. Had many in shops I have worked in and around.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, good compressors cost. I have a Curtis 80 gal 5 HP with the big commercial compressor head (forget part/model numbers). I'm VERY happy with it, and it's identical to the higher CFM 7.5 HP version in all but the motor, so simply upgrading to 7.5 hp with appropriate pully gets me the extra capacity, but I've not gone wanting enough to even consider it, even with my huge blast cabinet, and I have a suitable 7.5 HP Baldor on hand. This is a FAAAARRRR cry above the 60 gal 5-tiny-toy-chinese-horse-power Husky ("industrial", cast iron, oiled) that preceded it.

Just depends on what you need, but if I didn't have the blast cabinet, I could mostly have found my old Husky tolerable.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

My 5HP keeps up with my blast cabinet, but I use small nozzles. (5/64")
My Craftsman Noise-O-Matic, wouldn't stand a chance with the cabinet. 5 HP they call it. Right. It can't keep up with a die grinder. Makes a lotta noise though.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

If noise were air, those things would be legit!

Yeah, I can't run big nozzles, but what I do run would be considered big by most with home blast cabinets. Still the Curtis mostly keeps up...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well I've now had a chat with the Quincy dealer and they recommend the QT54, which is their closest model to what I'm looking at. But one review on Amazon (I know.... don't always trust Amazon reviews) has a photo of the data plate which clearly states, "Made in China."

And, of course, you can always find negative reviews on the internet of anything. All of the compressors I've looked at seem to have at least someone who is unhappy, with tales of mechanical breakdown.

So far the arrows are pointing toward the Ingersoll Rand SS5L5, which puts out 18.1 cfm at 90 psi. At $970 from Tractor Supply t's only $170 more than the SS4L5 which puts out 14.1 cfm. The other specs are the same; both have a two-year pump warranty, which is twice the Quincy. And the Quincy is $1325.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

The SS5 is a single phase screamer. Runs at 3450 RPM. That's how they pry 18 cfm out of it.

1800 RPM 2-stage.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200318461

I'd shop around for one of these.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I think you'll be hard pressed to beat that IR deal for the value.

For reference, this is what I have. CA5+ from a distributor. Looks like manuf doesn't list details any more, but the key for me was the E57 pump. 5 HP yields a rated 18.5 CFM @ 175 PSI. CA7.5 is identical other than the 7.5 HP motor, which yields a rated 23.2 CFM @ 175 PSI.

Those that know me know I'm cheap, and will assure you I didn't pay near what that reseller asks. I don't operate for gain, so while I like good quality tools, I can't justify a big layout for them, so I take my time and keep both eyes open...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper