Rotary Table

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Rotary Table

Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi all,

I picked up an used Yuasa 6" Rotary table a while back.

Started working on a project the other night, machining a pin to slip into the center hole so I could use as an alignment tool for a fixture I was planning on mounting to the plate. Much to my dismay, this is actually a MT2 taper! Frustration ensured. I was able to find a pinch hit work around, but I'd like to find something proper to use for this tool.

What I'm trying to find and am falling short in my limited searches so far, is a MT2 shank, with a straight shaft that will protrude out of the table, allowing me to machine a slip fit hole on my fixture/part/etc., and slip it right onto this.

Can any one help? I'd greatly appreciate any insight. This rotary table will be an invaluable tool for my Clausing 8520, given the space constraints. I have a few 10" but that won't work in a vertical orientation (rotational axis parallel to the table).

Thanks,
Mike Walsh
Technical Ted

Re: Rotary Table

Post by Technical Ted »

If you have a lathe you can easily make one.

Ted
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

I can think of 3 options....
1) You can get Morse taper shanks for milling cutters and face mills, these have a straight section of shaft that the cutter/head would would go over.
2) You can get Morse taper to blank end adapters (for machining custom cutter/reamer holders), though the blank end may not be terribly concentric.
3) Get a Morse taper to JT/etc drill chuck adapter and turn the adapter end straight.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Here's what you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164235899503?v ... BJEALw_wcB

Using a test indicator would be the best way to get centered up though. Just takes a bit more time.

It all depends on the level of accuracy needed though.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I also recently bought a rotary table with a small center hole I'd assumed was a straight bore.

Now I have to go out to the workshop and check!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

choprboy writes:

> You can get Morse taper to blank end adapters (for machining custom cutter/reamer holders),
> though the blank end may not be terribly concentric.

It will be after you turn it down to size.
chief

Post by chief »

As mentioned you can by the blanks. Used to be very cheap at ENCO, but folks are real proud of them now. Cheapest I saw was on amazon.
Terry
arbor blank.JPG
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or you could disassemble the rotary table and make the center cylindrical...

Think out of the box...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

chief wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:44 am As mentioned you can by the blanks. Used to be very cheap at ENCO, but folks are real proud of them now. Cheapest I saw was on amazon.
Pshaw... I shop at KBC and a few other sites now. They seem to be picking up where Enco left off. No constant stupid coupons and codes, just good prices on stuff the hobbyist needs.

MT2 to blank end arbor - $5.80
https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-507-385

They dont specify the blank end diameter for that one, from the catalog (yes KBC has a real paper catalog an inch thick), it is with their MT to drill chuck arbors so I suspect the end is in the .6-.75" diameter range for turning custom ~JT2 ends. They do have a MT2 to 1-3/4"D x 2-1/8"L blank end adapter though that is $50... I picked up the MT3 version a couple years ago and I dont recall it being that much.

Oh... and something else I just thought of... on the rotary table, make sure it is really a Morse taper. On one of my rotary tables I thought it was a MT, but it was actually a Brown&Sharp taper. Make finding
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Pick up a split MT2 drill driver. The will probably cone in odd sizes like the tap drill sizes. Machine a stepped pin so one end fits the drill driver and the other is the size you want. There are tap drivers and reamer drivers that ill work just as well. I have a local source. PM me if you want me to pick one up.
chief

Post by chief »

Thanks for the heads up choproy, I didn't know about KBC.
Terry
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:54 pm Or you could disassemble the rotary table and make the center cylindrical...

Think out of the box...
Better yet don't disassemble it. Cutting the new bore in situ would yield the utmost concentricity. My rt doesn't have a thru hole but the center is recessed. It wasn't round or concentric, meant only as a recess I guess. It's round now and I made slugs to go in the middle some have common sizes bored thru like 1/4" or 1/2". Others have a boss sticking up to register in a hole in the part. Pretty handy