Starrett #123 26" Vernier Caliper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Starrett #123 26" Vernier Caliper

Post by BadDog »

Richardwilde90 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:35 am Digital calipers are more accurate and so long as you have access to spare batteries i dont see the issue.

How would you feel about Mitutoyo solar powered?
I just realized this is an older thread brought back. Also, I don't think there is any reason digitals would necessarily be more accurate than vernier if produced with the same effort to quality. It may be more precisely and easily read, but that doesn't mean more accurate.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Post #23 is SPAM !!!

That post has been deleted, with the succeeding posts renumbered, thus #23 is no longer spam. The individual responsible has been banned for spamming the board.

H
www.chaski.com
pete

Post by pete »

A single post with a link to a Sheffield U.K. based dealer for digital calipers and no additional comment about why it was included, then yeah it probably is John. But Russ is 100% right, with equal quality and over longer distances I'd probably trust vernier calipers more over dial or digital.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Oops. I didn't follow the link, but while I did spot it as a single/first post at the time of my last reply, I didn't spot it as spam. :oops:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

I didn't either at first Russ, but after John pointed it out that got me to check the link. Even that was probably dumb with an first time poster and unknown link. Not that I'd probably order anything like that from the U.K. anyway, but that business is now on my never ever list.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Now y'all have got me curious ... what's this "Post #23" business? I don't see anywhere that the posts are numbered.

-- Russell Mac
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I don't see them either. I suspect the post numbers only show up for someone with mod/admin access.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

It was from a brand new member and his first post, he stated that digital calipers were more accurate than vernier. (they aren't with everything else being equal) Then posted in my opinion a unnecessary link to a tool supplier in the U.K. If it really wasn't a poor spam attempt, then he and Harold will have to work that out.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:06 pm I don't see them either. I suspect the post numbers only show up for someone with mod/admin access.
The report came from a reader (he could see the number), not someone with administrative privileges, thus the numbers should appear to everyone. I suspect that, should they not, it's peculiar to those of us who use the Allan Style SUBSILVER as our board choice.

Anyway, on my page, the number appears on the page from which one selects a post to read. The number is immediately below the title, left hand side of the page, and immediately before the name of the individual who posts the comment.

It looks like this:

#26 Post by John Evans » Today, 10:43 am

Post #23 is SPAM !!!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

No surprise that you are correct. I was using prosilver. When I switch to Alen Style, the numbers show up.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:55 amPost #23 is SPAM !!!
:D
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
rmac

Post by rmac »

BadDog wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:58 am No surprise that you are correct. I was using prosilver. When I switch to Alen Style, the numbers show up.
Same here. Thanks, H, for clearing that up.

-- Russell Mac