Starrett #123 26" Vernier Caliper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

revrnd

Re: Starrett #123 26" Vernier Caliper

Post by revrnd »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:34 am Are you sure it measures 26"? The scale on a vernier is longer than the capacity, as there must be a place to the right of the jaws for the vernier scale. I suspect what you have is really a 24".

In Starrett's example, I think you'll find that the vernier scale is divided in 50's, (not 25's), so the scale is longer, which would account for the extended length. In satin chrome, they're very easy to read.

H
Sorry about disappearing and yes, you are correct. I hadn't thought of the extra length req'd.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:20 pmExactly. I don't understand the obsession with digital stuff. If you're at the mercy of a battery, and you don't happen to have a spare, you're dead in your tracks until you do. That would be a deal killer for me, as it's a 25 mile drive to the small city where we do our shopping, with almost nothing at our disposal any closer. Add to that the fact that I am a night person, so I spend a lot of my time awake while others are sleeping, and an issue such as that would be a show stopper.

I was trained to work with vernier scales and dials. I'm not suggesting, not for one moment, that anyone who doesn't is doing anything wrong, but I'm very pleased that I learned to do things the "hard way". So long as I have electricity, I can operate my equipment without fearing failure of electronics (everything but my Haas mill, which just happens to be down, thanks to electronic failure).

H
I don't think for most it's really an obsession. It's just faster most times than reading a vernier. It's also less prone to human math errors since a delta measurement is just a button press away. It's also less prone to human error in reading the numbers. That's not to say that errors don't occur; they are just less common. I still have dials and verniers in the drawer and usually prefer dial to digital, but if I'm doing a bunch of relative measurements, I jump right to the digital stuff.

Dave
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

To me, a vernier reading caliper will always give me a TRUE reading that I can trust. With digital measuring instruments, I never know for certain the reading is accurate or if an electronic glitch has rendered a false reading. I have a Mitutoyo digital caliper and although I use it all the time, I still double check with my vernier instrument. When using the digital caliper, I always remember to clean the jaws of any dust or particles that may give a false reading. I also do the same with a vernier instrument.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Opened the box of my Mitutoyo 8" Digimatic Absolute Vernier which I rarely use yesterday and found the screen has gone dark.
Opened the battery compartment and the battery has leaked destroying the internals.
Priced a new one, $230, can't justify buying one at that price, back to the old trusty mechanical vernier.
pete

Post by pete »

I figure for most with a home shop a 6" set of calipers is likely the most used measuring instrument to get you close before better and more accurate methods are used when needed. While I've got very good 6" & 12" dial calipers I finally bought what I should have to begin with. A set of there solar powered digitals. Hands down the smoothest and most repeatable set of calipers I've ever used and no battery to die even though there battery life is extremely good. Mitutoyo do sell replacement parts, and I seem to recall they also sell the fully assembled screen component. I've no idea of the current price, but it might be worth checking with them Armscor. I don't think replacing that part is all that tough.

Fwiw I've yet to ever see even one single glitch or incorrect reading with any of my Mit digital equipment and I have quite a bit of it Ron. Even if I had a good vernier caliper I'd feel no need to double check any reading there digital calipers are giving me. I feel more than confident there well under .003" and quite likely very close to being within .001" for average repeatability since I've checked them and myself against random gauge block sizes.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Just checked mitutoyos website and they list the Module but most of the description is in Japanese so no luck.
The module/ display is for a Code No 500-172, Mod No CD-8" C.
I tried changing the module from my late model 6" but it returns an error, suspect my early model uses a different system for the scale
pete

Post by pete »

For an older design digital display you just might be out of luck Armscor. However I'd still try an email to one of the Mitutoyo repair departments giving the model number of your calipers. If anyone knows if spare and compatible parts are still available they would.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

armscor 1 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm Opened the box of my Mitutoyo 8" Digimatic Absolute Vernier which I rarely use yesterday and found the screen has gone dark.
Opened the battery compartment and the battery has leaked destroying the internals.
Priced a new one, $230, can't justify buying one at that price, back to the old trusty mechanical vernier.
My eyesight won't let me use a vernier caliper anymore so I use digital. Take a look at a comparison between Mitutoyo and a cheap one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGUOTVBZ3c

The battery on a Mitutoyo will last for 3 years. The cheap one needs its battery replaced at least once a year.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Old Pierre Vernier 1580 - 1637 would be roiling over in his grave if heard all the people using his name in conjunction with those devices with "Dials" or "digital readouts" on them. I don't know if it's ignorance or simply laziness. (Probably not stupidity)
...lew...
pete

Post by pete »

For me it's practicality, having to use a magnifying glass to even read it for a measurement that's still of less accuracy than a mike doesn't have much appeal. And yes I do know out of the 3 types the vernier if it's well made will almost always beat the other two for accuracy and longevity of it's parts. Not on speed though. It's still a caliper measurement and due to there mechanical design and the required clearances a mike is always going to be more accurate. The vernier calipers are still being made today, on average by the better makers there generally just about as much or more in price than something that's much faster to use.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I have a pair of verniers I use a LOT, but not for stuff where I need to read the actual vernier. One is graduated in fractional dims, used mostly for fab material checks and scribing. The other in decimal gets similar use.

For machine work of caliper tolerance I have a Mitutoyo and absolutely love that thing. I've used a Starretts, HFs, and a few other digitals, The Mit is by far the best IMO.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

As for why the extra few inches is so that when you're 23. 994 you're still able to read it up to 24 in exactly if you owned a pair of 24 inch Vernier calipers and use them you know why it's 26 in just like 36-inch when your calipers are 38 in Long I own three pair of Starrett Vernier calipers my biggest pair are over 7ft