toolbox drawer liner

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

toolbox drawer liner

Post by SteveM »

Just got a new-to-me set of Snap-on toolboxes to replace my old one that seems to be getting smaller each year.

Was looking at options for toolbox drawer liner and Harbor Freight has this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stor ... 65565.html
Appears to be well reviewed (only two reviews of 1 star and both appear to be written by someone who has never seen the product).

Menards has what looks to be the same stuff for the same price.

The stuff is 18 wide (my drawers might be a bit deeper, but close enough).

I have 45' of drawer width to do, so I'd need like 8 rolls of the stuff (although I might not do every drawer.

Anyone have any alternatives?

I need
STRR

Re: toolbox drawer liner

Post by STRR »

I have used similar drawer lining and was not happy. I finally found the rubber shelf liner material that looks like a small version of expanded metal with diamond-shaped holes. This stuff is cost-effective, allows dirt to fall through, and most importantly, does not slide or let the tools slide. I have purchased it where ever I can find it, including the Dollar Store. My boxes are black, so I used the black liner material.

This is very much like what I have and would work the same. https://www.everythingkitchens.com/duck ... atch%20All

I hope that link works.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I picked up a US Greneral roll-away at Horror Freight, for about half price, because it was missing the drawer liners, and the keys.
So, I bought a few treadmill floor mats on sale at Walmart. I think they were about 3' x 5'. They are thicker than most 'real' drawer liners, and are oil proof, per the packaging. (I assume some treadmills leak oil?)
I cut 'em to fit, and put 'em in there 8 or 10 years ago, and no problems. Best part is, they are heavy enough, and don't move around like most do.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

STRR wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:15 pm I have used similar drawer lining and was not happy. I finally found the rubber shelf liner material that looks like a small version of expanded metal with diamond-shaped holes. This stuff is cost-effective, allows dirt to fall through, and most importantly, does not slide or let the tools slide. I have purchased it where ever I can find it, including the Dollar Store. My boxes are black, so I used the black liner material.
Ymmv but I have that in my tool cart for the lathe and with nothing in the drawer it feels like it will stay put but as soon as there is a bunch of stuff in the drawer it slides rearward every time the drawer is closed. Is it because the drawer sometimes gets closed less gently? Sure, probably. But I'm not going to take 5 minutes to close a drawer just to make sure it doesn't slide.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 pm ... I'm not going to take 5 minutes to close a drawer just to make sure it doesn't slide.
A strategically placed bit of double stick tape would fix that.

Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

STRR wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:15 pm I have used similar drawer lining and was not happy. I finally found the rubber shelf liner material that looks like a small version of expanded metal with diamond-shaped holes. This stuff is cost-effective, allows dirt to fall through, and most importantly, does not slide or let the tools slide. I have purchased it where ever I can find it, including the Dollar Store. My boxes are black, so I used the black liner material.

This is very much like what I have and would work the same. https://www.everythingkitchens.com/duck ... 83311.html
I have that in my current box and I find that it moves and folds up, which is why I am looking for an alternative.

Steve
STRR

Post by STRR »

I understand both of your comments. Let me say, I am NOT gentle when I shut my drawers. I was always P.O.'d when the liner would slide and make everything get all piled up in the back of the drawer.

With this liner material, I have never had a problem with the liner or the tools sliding, even when I am more than a little rough with the "push to close" force.

I would recommend checking out several liner materials and getting a sample piece to see how it works in your drawers. I suspect some materials will work better with the finish from one box manufacturer than the finish from another box manufacturer.

Good Luck
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

My friend went through this recently and finally would not consider anything but McMaster-Carr liners.
https://www.mcmaster.com/drawer-liners/
--eargo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

The rubber mesh mat is readily available at any RV store.
Its used in RV Trailers and Motorhome's to keep drawer contents in place and is really cheap
Rich
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:58 am My friend went through this recently and finally would not consider anything but McMaster-Carr liners.
https://www.mcmaster.com/drawer-liners/
--eargo
Looks like nice stuff, but it will cost almost as much as the toolbox.

Steve
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

That "rust inhibiting" drawer liner is interesting. Wonder if it really works. Would be nice down here in FL... except for the price.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Some searches on Amazon came up with this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Resilia-Premium- ... 07G4HB8QQ/

It's pretty well reviewed and comes in a 25' roll (I think I will need two).

Downsides are that it's not cheap (not grossly expensive either) and the roll is 18" wide while my drawers are 19-1/2" deep.

Steve