Amplifier for Phoenix sound card?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Frank O

Amplifier for Phoenix sound card?

Post by Frank O »

We're installing a Phoenix Sound Systems PB11 card in a 1"-scale boxcab. We're interesting in using it with an external amplifier; Phoenix's notes indicate that this is frequently done for outdoor trains, but does not recommend any in particular. Are there specific amplifiers that are popular for this application? For example, would a small battery-operated amplifier from Radio Shack improve the sound?
Harold_V

Re: Amplifier for Phoenix sound card?

Post by Harold_V »

Frank,
I expect that a little more information might be required. An amplifier in and of itself may or may not provide a better sound, as that is dependent on the speaker system you'd have at your disposal. It's possible that the speaker being used now may not tolerate any more power.

My comments are based on what little I know about sound systems for music. The performance achieved is most likely to reflect the weakest component.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
realtrains

Post by realtrains »

Frank,

You are correct in that you need much more volume outdoors than the Phoenix sound card can provide. You must also use larger speakers to go along with the higher power. The digital generation of sounds produces waveforms with fast rise times that is very hard on speakers. You really need good speakers, and should try to have their wattage rating at least twice the amplifier output.

We are a Phoenix dealer. We sell complete sound systems in various sizes and offer complete installation instructions and programming services. These are complete units, we do not sell amplifiers only. Our web site is at:

www.realtrains.com

Bill
Real Trains
aopagary

Post by aopagary »

i looked up the PB-11 and the rated output is 3 watts. i have heard a mini-Marshall MS2 amp and at only 1 watt, it really fills a room with sound. three watts into a good enclosed speaker will probably do a lot more for your volume than adding an external amp driving free standing speakers.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

well, one thing to note, to double the volume, you will need ten times the power. in order to reproduce the low end sounds of a diesel loco will require some power,, I would say 25 to 35 watts should be more then enough. after all you dont want the everyone at the track to hear you :).

I would look for a small car audio amp in that range..
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
aopagary

Post by aopagary »

cbrew wrote:well, one thing to note, to double the volume, you will need ten times the power. ...
actually most people rate a +6dB change as double the volume which is only a 4x increase in wattage.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

if the desire is for volume a look at old speaker amp systems from computers may turn up unit with a fair output and that will operate at 12v dc

here is a look at db ,s and maybe a understanding og the term

http://www.music-production-guide.com/d ... scale.html

it seems to be easy to get confused wiki,s answer seems to do nothing but dance in circles.
realtrains

Post by realtrains »

To give you a referance point our smallest amp is 300 watts. Most user run it a something above half volume. Note that this is a "music power" rating and does not reflect the DC power draw of the amp.

Bill
Real Trains
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

That much audio you could feel the chug chug chug

Is the ratings on a peak to peak or other calculation
Frank O

Post by Frank O »

Thanks for all the comments. The PB11 soundcard ships with a 3-inch, 8-ohm speaker; the instructions say the card can be used directly with larger speakers as long as they're at least 4 ohms. We picked up a dual-cone 4-inch, 4-ohm speaker for $8 from Amazon that's claimed to be rated for 50 watts, intended as a replacement speaker for car systems. The PB11's sound is quite a bit louder and clearer with this speaker as compared to the 3-inch; I think we may play around with it for a while to see how it does outdoors. Using a more powerful car amplifier certainly would improve the sound even more, but given that we're talking a 1"-scale boxcab here, space is at a premium. Anyway, I appreciate all the input.
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Just a follow up on this old post....does anybody have a suggestion (name, model number, specifications, etc.) for an amplifier for a 7.5" gauge locomotive? I guess while I'm at it...any suggestions for speakers also? The locomotives don't have much internal room, so I'm looking for small sized equipment that will still provide adequate performance.

Thanks in advance, Tim
illigitimi non carborundum
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

I think most of the locos in our club using Phoenix sound didn't have additional amps. We mostly went with what was the largest speaker (preferred a pair) into the loco. That size made the most difference in amount of sound and the low end 'feel'.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world