What’s the plan?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Gra2472

What’s the plan?

Post by Gra2472 »

Good evening live steamers. This year has been challenging to say the least. My step mother has recovered from surgery to remove a 6lb abdominal tumor that was benign thank goodness, and we lost my 92 year old grandmother last week. Its ok, she was frail and ready to see grandpa. Hopefully we will have out golden spike ceremony soon after the family settles down.

That being said, we have some big plans for the off season. We are building a wood/car shop and will be pouring 3 yards of concrete on Friday. Yikes, I am already sore! Other plans include overhauling our fleet of electric locomotives, and finishing the air brake system on the mogul. We are gearing up for our first haunted train ride. Yes, I am one of those crazy home haunters that goes nuts for Halloween. You gotta make it though the haunt to get the candy. Surprisingly, it is the adults who are usually chickens.

What projects are you planning for winter? Overhaul the fleet? Build a passenger car? Sleep? Gain 15 holiday pounds?

Cheers!

G
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Pontiacguy1

Re: What’s the plan?

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

My plan is to finish up a few of the projects I have going right now: Boiler for an 0-4-0, Boiler repair for a 4-8-2 mohawk, get the narrow gauge 2-4-0 to operational status, help my son get his electric 0-4-0 critter up and running and build a body for it, Start on a boiler for a logging 2-8-2, and then maybe, just maybe, I can start working on the new tender for the 989. Man, now I'm depressed! Too much to do.

Even though it isn't in the plan, the 'gain 15 pounds' will probably get accomplished.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

My plan is to stay upright with a pulse. Anything else I can achieve at this point is metaphoric icing on the cake. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Get my back fixed by Thanksgiving so that I can get back to shop work and get off the pain pills.

After that...what BDD said.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:36 pm My plan is to stay upright with a pulse. Anything else I can achieve at this point is metaphoric icing on the cake. :D

Ditto. Here in Central California we have had 74 days of visible, smellable smoke, 94 days of temperatures of 95 and above, 60 of which were 100 or above, and four of which were 111, and one at 114 (the hottest summer ever recorded). When it gets over 100 I can't work in the shop and even on a few of the "cool" days (less than 100) the smoke was too strong and technically dangerous.

I wasted my time and money replacing an a/c blower fan motor for the truck when that wasn't the problem. Then the truck broke down twice in one day on an out-of-town trip taking 22 hours to go 400 miles and costing $2155.87 in repairs. On the return trip we hit smoke so bad in southern Oregon that in the cab with the a/c on recirculation and windows closed we still had to wear N95s. Not to mention taking the wrong route through Sacramento and a 45-minute delay near the end of a ten-hour drive due to road construction.

I ruined a shop project part I'd spent four hours on, the MR16 socket in the reading light over my spot on the couch burned out, and two lawn sprinklers went bad. I picked up a plantar wart on my heel while at a hotel in DC and the scooter we rented there for my wife died six blocks from the hotel. And it took a week with bait to get rid of the trail of ants in the laundry room.

All I want is some cool, clear weather and a week in which nothing goes wrong.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My plan?
Get my wife home after 3 months in hospitals post stroke.
Then the hard work starts all over again.
Zero hobbies this year.
'Nuf said.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 pmAll I want is some cool, clear weather and a week in which nothing goes wrong.

I understand it's cool, clear and quiet on the dark side of the moon. :shock: Not much happens around there, as well, other than the occasional piece of rock coming in for a high-speed landing.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Get my wife home after 3 months in hospitals post stroke.
Been there, done that, twice in the last five years, three months each time for hospital and transitional care and then at home recovery, but it was due to her back surgery. You have my best thoughts, it's a tough job.

Do your best to set aside some some hobby/personal time. You're no good to anyone if you drive yourself to the point you can't function.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Yup, just getting back into the shop now after spending the last winter in the hospital and Rehab/Nursing home. Wow, do we take a lot of things for granted in everyday normal life! I had to learn how to walk, cook, and dress myself all over again. Darn infection...I hope I never get that again.

I think the worst part was trying to trouble shoot problems over the phone with my wife. The tractor died, whats wrong asks the wife.

Jim B
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

My plan is to continue work on the Heisler but my wife's knee replacement surgery (and following rehab) late next month is going to limit shop time for me for a while.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

SCBryan wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am My plan is to continue work on the Heisler but my wife's knee replacement surgery (and following rehab) late next month is going to limit shop time for me for a while.

Don't let her slide on the physical therapy. Wifey here has had two of them and they are OK, while someone we know didn't do the therapy because it hurt and she is quite limited as a result.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks all for your words of wisdom.
I definitely understand the value of personal achievement time. If I'm not OK I am not very useful to others.

At least when we get home my shop is only 50 feet from the front door, and we will have home care help and rehab too.
Finding that home care was nearly impossible. We lucked out. The delights of pandemics.

And hearing of all the challenges others here face produces Sharing Moments. Useful for gaining perspective.
Stay healthy, if possible.
And keeping making things for your entertainment.
RussN