RED train lantern ideas

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

RED train lantern ideas

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I am looking for an inexpensive LED lantern I can hang on the back of the last riding car of my train to serve as a EOT device. I would like something a little classier than a regular red blinking keychain or the like. It doesn't have to be 1/8 scale, but I don't want a full-size hurricane lantern. I have seen smaller (maybe 4-6" tall) red lanterns on other trains but internet searches are coming up empty. It would be preferable if it were LED instead of a regular bulb.

Any ideas?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
ccvstmr

Re: RED train lantern ideas

Post by ccvstmr »

Ben...at one time, you could buy key chain lanterns that had a red or white LED in them. I have a small one that says Coleman on it. Don't think it's more than 1.5" tall. These were powered by a small button battery. Twist the battery compartment cover to turn the LED on/off. Never checked to see how bright these were at night.

Other than an outdoor store (fishing, hunting, camping, etc)...or something like a Farm 'n Fleet or similar...wouldn't know where to steer you. BUT...you were looking for ideas. So, there you go. Let us know what you find. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

For steam era, a search on ebay or Amazon for "miniature lantern pencil sharpener" will bring up 3 inch tall diecast replicas of kerosene lanterns. Seems it would be easy to stick a bright l.e.d. in one. They might be a little big for 1/8 scale, better for 2.5.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
STRR

Post by STRR »

Years ago, there was an offering of a lantern-shaped hand soap dispenser. The soap pump is on the top, and it would be easy to remove and disguise. The whole thing is plastic, so it would be easy to run wires in for the LED lights. Now, this is the old-fashioned oil lamp style and not the newer FRED style. I do not know if these are still available or not. Maybe search on eBay.

Good Luck,
Terry
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ccvstmr wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:40 pm Ben...at one time, you could buy key chain lanterns that had a red or white LED in them. I have a small one that says Coleman on it. Don't think it's more than 1.5" tall. These were powered by a small button battery. Twist the battery compartment cover to turn the LED on/off. Never checked to see how bright these were at night.
IMG_8589.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks all for some great ideas!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Is that Greg Lewis's hand holding the key chain lantern? ...or the hand of God? Or are those one in the same? :lol:
But yes, that's what I was mentioning. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ccvstmr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:54 pm Is that Greg Lewis's hand holding the key chain lantern? ...or the hand of God? Or are those one in the same? :lol:

Yes.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I don't know it this would work. I don't know what 1/8 scale looks like. It has been one of those things, that has been hard for me to get my head around, all the scales and gauges and how they relate to each other.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lume ... 63992.html
I little dressing up and a red defuser, maybe? :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

One of the members in our local train club ordered a bunch of colored LED lights for a similar purpose. Looks like these are available from several sources on line. You would have to figure out how to wire them into a power source, etc...
E4CB1948-02E4-4D34-AC2D-121738582F5D.png
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

On ebay there's a seemingly endless selection of prewired LEDs in just about any color and voltages from 3 to 12. There's even prewired red flashing LEDs that have connectors for common 9 volt batteries. Most folks won't need these but they could make life easier if you're converting an off the shelf lantern.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

May I suggest Oznium on the web for LED's, wired with resistors for direct application to 12 volts.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."