Rough 3/4 Scale Tom Thumb Locomotive Restoration Help Needed

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

hddennis

Rough 3/4 Scale Tom Thumb Locomotive Restoration Help Needed

Post by hddennis »

Just acquired this rough 3/4 scale Tom Thumb locomotive and need some help and advice on it's restoration. Just got a chance to access the damage time and abuse have done to my newly acquired steam locomotive. The boiler damage seems to be the worst and unfortunately soldering is one of my worst skills. Can anyone recommend a person or shop that could repair this boiler? While we're at it can anyone tell me what this type boiler is called? I can't find any online that look like it. Would this type being used help date the build of this locomotive? Any suggestions on what I can use on this to clean it up? Would this have been soldered with regular (whatever that is) solder OR silver solder? If it was just a matter of soldering the bung back on I might try it myself BUT several of the connections will require heating to get the bungs back in correct alignment and that would worry me that I might damage joints further.

I welcome anyone with advice or suggestions and thank you in advance for helping a beginner.

Howard Dennis
100_5465 (3).JPG
100_5464 (2).JPG
100_5463 (2).JPG
s-l1600 (5).jpg
Bill Shields

Re: Rough 3/4 Scale Tom Thumb Locomotive Restoration Help Needed

Post by Bill Shields »

Unfortunately from what i see of the boiler in your pictures...it is a throwaway.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
hddennis

Post by hddennis »

Thanks for replying Bill. Could you elaborate Please. I see no corrosion internal nor external, just bung misalignment and one needing replacement?

Howard Dennis
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

I agree with Bill, toss it for no better reason than you do not know the specifics of its construction. It is dangerous to repair/operate a boiler without knowing its specific design and capabilities. Additionally, I know my way around soldering, and I can say from my own experience that a visual inspection of your boiler, based on the photos, give me grave concerns for the integrity of the water tubes. In the close up photo I can see what appears to be physical damage to one of the tubes, and an elongated weld that suggests a repair to a crack in the tank segment. That enough is concerning. For the sake of safety, I highly suggest that you discard this boiler and find a suitable replacement with known specifications and capabilities. It will cost some money, but thats far less expensive than a potential hospital bill. Be safe, thats most important.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Here's a link if you are interested in drawings to make a new boiler, or at least to compare yours to see what it should look like.

http://www.friendsmodels.com/productsf ... thumb.html

This might help.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Friends boiler is a very different design than what you have.

What is the OD of the outer shell of yours?
hddennis

Post by hddennis »

Want to thank you both for your expertise and help. When I first looked at this on eBay I thought it was a cobbled up mess and that I could at least salvage the V-4 engine for a static display model. Looks like I need to return to that assessment as restoring this to a working locomotive is beyond my capabilities and even if I could I had no idea track was that expensive.

Bill, I measured my boiler and it is 8 inches tall and 4 inches outside diameter. What size boiler would I need for static display to run this V-4?

Howard Dennis
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

4" diameter would work...the ORIGINAL Friend's TT had a 4" firetube boiler, but very few worked..most went to a 5" OD boiler.

what do you plan to use for fuel? => is the first question.

The second question is -> bore and stroke of the V4 engine?

most of the TTs have twin cylinder configurations -> and the 4" boiler is marginal for actual running.

Static display is another story...
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Howard: I wouldn't be geting a hurry to give up on it. What if you just began cleaning up the Loco, and visit your local club, nose around. Might be suprised at the skills and hardware you find laying around. I would almost bet you could find someone with some good info. BTW, what guage is it? If you can find a 4"boiler for a static display.... why not for a functional machine?
Scotty
hddennis

Post by hddennis »

Thanks Scotty,
I haven't figured out this whole gauge scale thing nor what to call it correctly. The wheels surface would fit a 3 1/2 inch track.

Howard Dennis
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Howard: go to IBLS.org wait while it loads, or tap on the big logo. Dig around in their site and you will find a wealth of information, most of which you will need in due time. Still, your best resource is your local club, even if they don't run your guage...... currently.
Then, Discoverlivesteam.com more good stuff including list of clubs all across the country.
What state are you in?
Scotty
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

now that I look more closely at your pictures...it would appear that the OD of the boiler (entire assembly) is 6+ inches in diameter and the core closer to 5" diameter?

maybe the firebox is 4" diameter...?

or am i missing something?