Lubrication Question

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

SCBryan

Lubrication Question

Post by SCBryan »

For eccentrics such as an axle pump, what is the recommended lubrication, grease or oil?
Bill Shields

Re: Lubrication Question

Post by Bill Shields »

Oil...

I have on occasion (as in for years) used pin lube oil or steam cylinder lube.

Same stuff on main, side rods

When in doubt lube with anything available.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I lube the motions on my steamers with lathe/mill way oil.
It tends to be more tacky and sticks around longer in use.
I see very little wear in those items over 16 years of running.
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I personally moved away from oil and started using good synthetic grease using needle zerk fittings. they hide well and it does not run out.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I recently visited cbrew and saw those mini needle Zerk fittings installed in rods and wheel centers and remain intrigued.
The fittings sit nearly flat with the surfaces and look like a good solution for our steamers.
Minimally visible and maximized function.
Hopefully he will post some pictures here.
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

well apparently the lens on the camera was not the cleanest, so the pictures are not the clearest. but here is want i have access to at the moment on the pacific I am working on

the zerks are on the rods and axle ends
Attachments
IMG_20200515_162719156.jpg
IMG_20200515_162044698.jpg
IMG_20200514_151848649.jpg
IMG_20200514_151846811.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I recommend 80w90 rear end gear oil. It will cling, it has anti-wear additives in it, it is easy to find at big-box stores, auto parts stores, etc... and is fairly cheap. It will run you about $7 per quart. It will pump through a regular hand-held oil pump pretty easily. I used to use 30 wt. oil, which worked out ok, but I noticed that once my engine wore in a little bit, I would fill the oil cups with 30 weight and it would quickly empty out through the bearings. Going up to the 80w90 kept it in place longer, and I've been using it ever since, probably 30 years now.
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

Thanks, everyone for all the replies. they have been very helpful.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Steve, we've always used cylinder oil on the axle pump eccentric (Mobil Super Cylinder). Same for pins in the valve gear.

cbrew wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:32 am I personally moved away from oil and started using good synthetic grease using needle zerk fittings. they hide well and it does not run out.
I've needle zerks on the knuckle and cross head pins. It does make a clean installation.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:19 pm I recommend 80w90 rear end gear oil.
I just reread this post and the light came on.
Be careful when selecting hypoid gear lube, as not all of them are compatible with copper alloys.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Be careful when selecting hypoid gear lube, as not all of them are compatible with copper alloys.
If it says it is safe for Manual Transmissions, then it will be fine. Pretty much any of the store brands and most of the name brands say on the package that they are safe for manual transmissions. Been using it for 30+ years in multiple live steam locomotives and never had any issues.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:38 pm
If it says it is safe for Manual Transmissions, then it will be fine. Pretty much any of the store brands and most of the name brands say on the package that they are safe for manual transmissions. Been using it for 30+ years in multiple live steam locomotives and never had any issues.
That makes sense, as the synchromesh in transmissions is generally a copper alloy.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.