A new track in Maine

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Re: A new track in Maine

Post by OddDuck »

The loop is complete, except for ballast and guard rails on switches. And, the first official sign is up! I've had the "Summit" sign pattern for years now, finally got around to making myself one. Used an app on my phone to check the altitude, and subtracted six feet for my height. The result, from what I know of the local geography, sounds about right. I have more ballast coming tomorrow, on to the back breaking part of the job...
Attachments
IMG_20210820_170412409_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210820_170338518_HDR~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

That look great! Good job. I noticed that your switch is on a curve, which means that you will likely have to radius the points slightly to get a good fit (if you haven't done so already). I found when building my little shortline last year that a ryobi sawsall with a worn out blade works pretty darn well as a tamping machine. I can get the rock under the ties fairly easily. I did all of the ballast work myself, all 12 yards of it, and yeah it's a killer but a dump car makes a huge difference, so does paying beer wages to some hearty pals.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Gra2472, thanks! The turnouts are a work in progress, I'm learning as I go. They are, to put it bluntly, ugly, but I think they will do what they have to do. It's eventually going to be two loops connected by a straight section, so the switches aren't going to see much use. Got three more yards of ballast today, let the schlepping begin!
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Schlepping finished. Good grief! One of these days I will remember I'm not 25 anymore. 3 yards of ballast delivered this morning, I had maybe a yard left from the original batch. I have about the same amount left in the pile as I started with this morning. I only had to change T-shirts twice. However, the circle is ballasted!
Pics tomorrow, ran out of light today. Maybe even a video...
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

https://youtu.be/tB3qUOtd1hM
I have a railroad! Now I just have to clean everything else up, build a bunch of locos and rolling stock, and the rest of the track...
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

And what's a railroad without some signage? Didn't have much in stock and ready to put up, but I had a few. Even though I've asked, I haven't gotten too many pics of the signage I have sold over the years in use. If anyone has pics of their ODF signs, please feel free to post them!
Attachments
IMG_20210823_144009624_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210823_145036261_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210823_144050493_HDR~2.jpg
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Hey I need a couple of those signs for my railroad. Did you make those?
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Gra2472, yes. I have all kinds of signage, these are only a few. I have several posts in the "for sale" section related to that. Lessee if I can list ' em. Most are early PRR, the standards they drew up are nice to work with. In 1/4 scale; oval crossing sign, oval NJ variant, caution RR, caution bridge, hatchet yard limit, flying V UP yard limit, post back keystone whistle post, post back keystone ring post, MKT whistle post, summit sign, station sign, dog-on-duty sign, RPO platform warning sign, and probably a few more. 1/8 scale, I have multiple different versions of whistle posts in "candy bar" form, keystone, oval, and diamond. Plus a bunch of other oddball signs. There will be more coming, I plan to build patterns for more as time goes on. Wow. Now that I have typed it up I have a bunch of signs. If you see any on the list you would like, PM me and I can make it. Or, if you have a specific sign you need, and have a clear picture of it, I can make a pattern. Always adding to the pile ...
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

The OCSL has a new piece of rolling stock! I just finished up a flat car, the hopper was proving to be less than wonderful. So I stole the trucks and built a flat.
I welded up the spine from some scrap box section steel I had, and built the rest with more or less what I had kicking around in the shop. I think the only thing I bought was the pine for the deck, all of twenty bucks worth of material. I considered oak, but just about swallowed my tounge when I priced it out. The budget would not allow.
I have a video of my nieces being test pilots with the unfinished flat, it's on my Odd Duck Foundry Facebook page unfortunately, so I am technologically incapable of sharing it here. I didn't take the vid is the problem.
It's not lettered yet, it's not built to a specific prototype, and it's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than the last flat car I built. Looks pretty good from six feet away, and that's the best I can hope for.
Attachments
IMG_20210910_153310476_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210910_153348121_HDR~2.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

https://youtu.be/LVU-mAYTck4
Had to test it out...
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Did you cast the stake pockets? Are they offered as part of your product line?

Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Yes, I made them, not specifically copied from a prototype. It was one of those off the cuff projects I did because I figured I would need some eventually. These ones were really "rejects" that were too bad to sell but too good to melt back down. Just happened to have enough to do this car, with one really ugly spare. It's amazing what a coat of black paint will hide.
Were you interested in some? Things at work are starting to slow down to the point I can start cutting down the project backlog. I can probably cast you some reasonably quickly.