A new track in Maine

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: A new track in Maine

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Ours have a scraper blade which rides on top of the rails, and which can be raised and lowered. You lower it before you start spreading any ballast. Yes, they can only spread in one direction, but that's not ever been an issue. Ours were originally Cannonball ballast hoppers, which were then modified by club members. We have 4 of them and you can put down ballast pretty quick that way. Beats the crap out of shoveling it into buckets or wheelbarrows!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Another way to spread ballast is to stick a 4x4 in front of the rear wheels and let the wheels push the 4x4 along the track, to spread the gravel off the rail. I’ve seen this done effectively on 15” ga track. The big boys use a railroad tie in front of the hooper car wheels. Might be some problems with 7.5” gauge if the gravel weighs more than the car... lowering the hopper doors, or building a heavier car might be a solution...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Wow. Oppressively hot today. About a 98 degree heat index. For those of you "from away", that's very hot for Maine at this time of year. It was in the forties a couple weeks ago. Sheesh.
I wanted to accomplish something, I had an hour or so of free time. So, let's put down track! I managed to screw down about another fifteen or twenty feet, no ballast yet. It needs to cool down about twenty degrees before that happens.
The first circle is now about 2/3 complete, you can see both ends from one spot now!
Attachments
IMG_20210608_154044281_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210608_154102258_HDR~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I had a choice, either I could build a turnout, or fan up a diamond in order to continue this loop. I had to cast a frog for the switch, so diamond it was. I have a bunch of 1" c channel that I am going to use as rail when I run out of the aluminum, so I cut a few pieces up and welded one together. I am not going to show the welds. They are ugly. I need practice. Or lessons. Or both. They are, however, solid, as much grinding down of the lumpy boogers I made showed. Good enough. I ground in the flange channels after I welded it together, figured that would work better. If you look at the last pic, where you can see the ends, it's going to be placed at the far end, near my dilapidated old garage. It's going to be the crossover from the loading ramp to the storage yard.
Attachments
IMG_20210610_162326867~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

That's pretty cool! I just finished my railroad and its only loop of about 450' around the house. I actually enjoy track laying, but as the railroad ages this first summer I am finding lots things to adjust and maintain. It makes me glad not to have a mile of track. Keep up the good work.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

No just laying track, but fighting off the ticks! We are having the worst tick season in memory, this year in Maine.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks Gra2472! it is a lot of work, and I'm sure, due to my make-do track construction that I have years and years of adjustments ahead. Improvements will come as the budget (or lack thereof...) permit.
Funny you should mention that, Dick, my Mrs named where the track goes through the hedge Tickville Tunnel. I just have to make up the sign!
Got the diamond finished and installed today, and ten more feet down. Even tested it with the hopper, and worked perfectly. You can see where the loading ramp will go in the third pic, just past the corner of the garage.
Attachments
IMG_20210611_171310594~2.jpg
IMG_20210611_171317595~2.jpg
IMG_20210611_171359923~2.jpg
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Lookin' good, Pete! That your hopper rolls across it is a nice plus. Well done.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Don’t forget the guard rails. One of the fiddly things about making crossings.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Makinsmoke, where would you put them, out of curiosity? On the lead-in portions , or on the inside of the diamond as well? The crossing is going to be slow speed, so I'm not too worried when I get around to that part. I can easily add guards with some angle iron. Didn't even think about them.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

^^^
I would think adding guardrails inside of the "short rails" outside the diamond would suffice, at a minimum.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I might just leave them off for now, if it is determined that it's a high derail spot, I'll put some on.
Due to long hours at work last week, about the only thing I trusted myself to do this past weekend was put screws in ties. All other potentially body mangling or eye pokey-outy activities I forbid myself to do due to a severe lack of ability to get out of my own way. The most risky activity I did was mowing the lawn. So, the inner rail circle is connected, and I am almost to the location of the last turnout on this loop.
Attachments
IMG_20210613_161311169_HDR~2.jpg