A new track in Maine

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Re: A new track in Maine

Post by OddDuck »

First place name sign is up! A couple of days ago, really, found my round tuit finally. All the place names are going to be on this shape sign, so my track has at least some level of standardization.
Attachments
IMG_20210912_150323429_HDR~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

First powered run! It ain't pretty, it needs a LOT of work, but it went around!
https://youtu.be/kOcUJnrGP4k
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Latest signs for the railroad! God I love having my own foundry. If I had to have someone else do this I don't even want to know how much it would be. I work cheap. Hee hee!
These are going on either end of the pass through in the hedge, my Mrs. named it "Tick Street" after I cut that chunk out, because, well, the little bastards were plentiful there. Seems to have worked out, and the name stuck, and it's as close to a tunnel as I am going to get. I am going to try to train the hedge to grow over it, so that it's more tunnel-like.
Attachments
IMG_20210930_144548729~2.jpg
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Those are nice quality signs, Peter. I do like the "summit" sign.
Ticks have been terrible in Maine this year.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

You could always build yourself a small trellis to help hold up the hedge and help shape your tunnel. If you really wanted to get fancy with it, you could build entrances to make it actually look like a tunnel. Just a thought.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Pontiacguy1, that's exactly what I was thinking. Just a plywood facade of a tunnel mouth on the downhill side, kinda thing. Material prices have to come down a bit more before I get that extravagant. It's not going to be the world's largest and most exciting railroad, so might as well Disney it up a bit. The Mrs. is already interested in helping to landscape and build and decorate scale buildings for trackside interest.
Dick, next time I'm over, we'll have to measure the high spot on your layout and I'll make you one. It probably isn't too far off from mine, elevation wise.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Tunnel signs in place, look pretty darn good! I suppose I do have an entrance arch, kinda, sorta, as long as the lilac tree holds up.
Attachments
IMG_20211001_141747656~2.jpg
IMG_20211001_141810129~2.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Famous last words. And it was working so well. I decided to mess around with my locomotive today, thought I had the chains lined up and tensioned better. It did work, honestly! I had gone around the loop three or four times before I took this video. And, after I fixed this bung up, I went around five or six more times (with a few more chain issues) before the master link on one of the secondary chains gave out. Dang. Guess that's what I get for trying to use second hand bike chain and repurposed sprockets for this application.
I think I may have to get #35 chain and commercial sprockets, when I have a few bucks to spare. Eventually. Even though that really bugs the cheap bastard in me, due to the fact that I have all of about $50 tied up in this loco.
Shoot. Oh well. Onward and upward.
https://youtube.com/shorts/KUUCQryIfcY?feature=share
ashcan

Post by ashcan »

Now if you were extruding your own rail, I'd be impressed.

Jim
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Spoke too soon!
Funny, though.
RussN
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I now have the "loco" working pretty good, and the track cooperated today. A short vid of the latest goings on... https://youtu.be/_VL4vQNu5ww
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

https://youtube.com/shorts/DN-acmLthn8?feature=share
The loco has a body now, and I've got it going around pretty reliably! I need to come up with a more efficient motor, the record for trips around the loop now stands at 37 times in a row with one derailment. I've also started working on the yard turnout, I welded up a frog for it out of the same c-channel that I'm using for the yard and loading ramp. You can see the progress in the video, kinda.